Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like all, I am getting mailings from the National Rifle Assoc to join or contribute. I have been tossing these mailings but now I'm wondering. Currently, I'm not a member but am seriously worried about gun rights with whoever ends up in power after the next national elections.

Without starting a riot, how do you feel about NRA membership? I'm certainly willing to join if it's the best path to protect our gun owners rights.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've said it before....saying it again....

If you shoot, own a gun, hunt, or post up here and are NOT an NRA member....then there is something VERY wrong.

People need to get over some of the politics...the mailings...what have you. WHO ELSE IS DEFENDING US?

ANSWER: NO ONE!!!

CORRECT YOUR ERROR AND JOIN.

Lifetime member....Nasty

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Ditto!!
You will still get mailings after you join, but it is money well spent. Freedom is truly not free.
Try to get a life membership on a payment plan if money is tight.
I did for $35 quarterly. Took a few years but I am glad I did.

Another life member.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
IMO-The NRA has it's problems, but it's one of the very top strongest lobbying organizations in the Country. This is our best hope. Every gun owner who wishes to retain that status should join a.s.a.p. Take a look what happened in England and Australia, for example. People there never thought their rights with guns would be eroded as they have, either. We need to make a stand and now!

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I have been with the NRA for years as a life member. They are the best we have, warts and all. There are also several other organizations working to insure your gun rights such as:
The Second Amendment Foundation at
http://www.saf.org/

The Citizens Committee for the Right To Keep and Bear Arms at
http://www.ccrkba.org/

Gun Owners of America at
http://www.gunowners.org/

Jews For The Preservation of Firearms Ownership at
http://www.jpfo.org/

Investigate them all and others not mentioned, join and support at least one and do it now, not next year!

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
Nothing annoys me more than people that complain then are not willing to put their money where their mouth is. The NRA isn't perfect nothing is but the alternative is much worse.

·
Registered
526 Posts
wrj - Like you, at one time I had an indifferent attitude to the NRA and a similar indifference to political activism. Then I decided to find out for myself, and wrote Handgun Control and the NRA for their positions on guns. Both replied to my request for information with a glossy brochure filled with their "party line story." I then wrote back to both organizations thanking them for the material, and expressed my interest in learning more. HC sent another brochure. The NRA sent an 8 1/2 x 11 manilla envelope filled with an inch thick collection of articles and resource leads.

I now have a bookshelf filled with books and reports containing factual ammunition assembled to do my part in protecting our Second Amendment rights, am a Life Member of the NRA, and have testified at state legislative hearings.

Thomas Jefferson had two great insights: 1) if there is a problem, get as many good people together to work on it as you can, and 2) if there is a risk of danger, educate the people so they can deal with the problem themselves. If you enjoy shooting, but have reservations about the NRA, then by all means join us. Add your strength to the organization and your voice to the dialogue. We cannot afford to ignore the challenge to the Second Amendment in the coming elections. Thanks for posing the question. It is timely and I am sure you are not alone.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for your feedback. You convinced me of what I was probably convinced of already. I will join. Hopefully, we can keep the far-left extremists somewhat under control. I just wish politicians would worry about what is critical to this country instead of their personal agendas. Oh well…

·
Registered
607 Posts
Any organization that is so villified and attacked by the press and anti gun members of Congress....has to be doing something right. I pay for my membership with the money I used to subscribe to the newspaper with.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Chaco1 said:
Jack are you a member of JPFO?
No, I'm not but I have donated to them and the other two groups in past years. It just struck me when I ran across the JPFO that they, of all ethnic/religious groups, have an intimate history with Nazi gun control. Unfortunately, I get the impression most Jews don't give a squat about the issue. Ironic huh?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SidelockSxS said:
I now have a bookshelf filled with books and reports containing factual ammunition assembled to do my part in protecting our Second Amendment rights, am a Life Member of the NRA, and have testified at state legislative hearings.
SidelockSxS:
Thanks for the effort.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have been an NRA member for years, do I agree with everything they are doing,no. But for my money they are the best orginazition that the AMERICAN gun owners have. I beleive that every gun owner should join, strength in numbers as the saying goes. I hope they will continue to give grade F to everyone that wants to circumvent the 2nd amendment.

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
No, I'm not but I have donated to them and the other two groups in past years. It just struck me when I ran across the JPFO that they, of all ethnic/religious groups, have an intimate history with Nazi gun control. Unfortunately, I get the impression most Jews don't give a squat about the issue. Ironic huh?
Correct me if I am wrong but aren't most Jewish folks also Democrats?

I bought a couple things off the site today. Can't wait to wear their in your face t-shirt and see what kind of reaction i get.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I was an annual member from 1976 until 1987, then I started on the life member bit. I've been a full-fledged 'Lifer' since then.
Yea, I don't agree with what they say or do 100% of the time, who does? But they along w/ the handful already mentioned, are the first and best defense of not just the Second amendment but all of them.
Don't like getting all of the mail? Call them and have them take you off of the mailing list. But before you do, remember that all means all.
If you're looking for a different way to support the hunting and shooting heritage all of us here on the board enjoy, then look for and attend a Friends of NRA Banquet. They raise funds to support all sorts of shooting sports and not just that, they help out on the education (Eddie Eagle) and other areas as well.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I wouldn't join .. the one's who make a living in the organization have a vested interest in ramping up your paranoia about someone "grabbing your guns" ... usually a Democrat

I remain convinced that a Republican would likely be the first to actually try to take away your gun rights

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Goater said:
I wouldn't join .. the one's who make a living in the organization have a vested interest in ramping up your paranoia about someone "grabbing your guns" ... usually a Democrat

I remain convinced that a Republican would likely be the first to actually try to take away your gun rights
To the original poster - this is precisely why you need to join. FYI, the NRA supports plenty of democrats too.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Goater said:

Whoa, there partner !!! -- You can't be serious. -- :eek:

That's a mighty big slap in the face for a good number of hard working, devoted NRA members. I've been an NRA member for a long time and proud of it.

You must be jerking the chain to make an ironical statement.

Regards:
Rod

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.