Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A shooting acquaintance of mine recently contacted NSSA with his misgivings about the new magazine. Below is their response.

"I totally appreciate your concerns and you are correct that you are not the first to voice disappointment in the changes you refer to. Unfortunately, the Skeet Shooting Review magazine is gone without any hope of bringing it back. The SSR was published by the NSSA and the Sporting Clays Magazine was published by an outside vendor whose contract expired at the end of 2015. For several reasons, including but not limited to, cost savings it was decided to begin to publish our own joint magazine since the NSSA and the NSCA are both our associations. The Clay Target Nation is being published with a "half and half" content that we have basically adhered to since the first issue. We tried to keep the best features from both magazines. The most often comment or complaint has been the absence of the skeet shoot results being included in the printed magazine. We are supposed to begin sending an addition to the magazine to the life members which will have the shoot results printed much in the way they were in the SSR. As for the record annual, we are printing a 2016 records annual and will be making sure that it is sent to all life members who received the 2015 annual. There has not been a decision made yet as to whether we will go back to printing each year so I cannot tell you that the 2017 annual will be printed. Hopefully these moves will let you know that we are working toward resolving some of the issues that we have inadvertently created."

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Unfortunately, the Skeet Shooting Review magazine is gone without any hope of bringing it back.
Well that's just BS! There could be plenty of ways to bring it back, I am sure there are publishing companies that would love the opportunity to print it exactly the way it was in the past.

The fact they say there is no hope of bringing it back is because they don't want to bring it back.

The heck with the paying members of NSSA, screw them!!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
simsy9 said:
We are supposed to begin sending an addition to the magazine to the life members which will have the shoot results printed much in the way they were in the SSR.
Only life members get shoot results in a printed edition?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
I guess rank and file members $ isn't good enough.

By that reply, NSSA is basically creating/admitting to a two-tiered membership, with yearly members being the lower tier of the two, even though they represent a significantly larger percentage of dues income for NSSA.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I think you misunderstood, the magazine will have the shoot results and I think but not sure on this, a shoot calendar. All life members were promised a records annual for being a life member and they cut out the printed one, which is what the life members were expecting to get or most of them should I say as I can't speak for all.

I think there is change coming, just hope it is in the right direction. I know me and several other directors are pushing hard.

Allen aka WAM

·
Banned
5,707 Posts
simsy9 said:
We are supposed to begin sending an addition to the magazine to the life members which will have the shoot results printed much in the way they were in the SSR...Hopefully these moves will let you know that we are working toward resolving some of the issues that we have inadvertently created."
Personally as a Life Member I am very pleased I will get the printed shoot results supplement. I'll probably peruse those and trash the CTN. But, all the members should should receive the supplement.

I'll venture a guess NSSA was required to provide the supplement to comply with their Life Member obligations.

·
Banned
3,014 Posts
From the POV of the sporting clays side, sporting clays shoot results that used to be in the old magazine were completely useless because 99% of those results could be found in either iclays, winscore, or scoringpro long before the magazine came out.

Maybe there's a lesson to be learned there for the skeet side?

·
Banned
5,707 Posts
Sobrepuesta said:
99% of those results could be found in either iclays, winscore, or scoringpro long before the magazine came out.
Those sources are fine for specific shoots you bother to look up, but they don't allow a casual perusal of the shoots that provides a nice pulse of what is going on, e.g. what clubs are shooting?, are their numbers up or down?, who is still shooting and who is MIA?, who are the new up-and-comers? It's sort of liking scanning the two summary columns on the front-page of the Wall Street Journal.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
What about the Life Members who paid but if they don't shoot X number of registered targets will no longer receive the printed magazine?

I am probably the only person who joined as a life member with no intentions of shooting a lot of registered shoots, simply to support shooting sports and receive the pre-CTN magazine. I belong to a lot of organizations as a life member for a variety of reasons, like they support youth shooting programs, charity events for public servants and military personnel injured while on active duty.

I am at a point in my life where, If I can spare the funds and I get a small token, IE: Magazine, I am happy. The plus is I read articles that pertains to the sport, I like seeing the shooting stations and bird presentations. I like reading about the people and their thought process, and if it improves my game, that's a win.

I don't regret it and have no intention of ending my support. I am disappointed and have no interest in getting a refund and I will occasionally shoot an event.

I like seeing reports on various clubs/venues, member spotlights, the what would you do questions. I kinda wish they had Forum set up similar to SW, to discuss in depth about the issues facing a and allow the members the ability to have input or make suggestions, draw X number of members from various classes and allow them to go to a camp/seminar with target setters, coaches, instructors and the top level shooters in the membership. Something that would allow the chosen members the ability to learn more about target setting, the why's and how's, get instructions for a problem with a top level instructor and class leading shooter.

Maybe have seminar on wingshooting with the top shooter's squaded with a Jr member.

I know even though I am a Life Member and really do this to improve my wingshooting skill, I love doing it and I learn more about it and myself everytime I am on the course.

I have ran on long enough, hopefully that had some semblance of a coherent idea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.