Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading through some the forums about registered targets and keeping the classifications fair and honest.

Some clubs offer only certain dates and times for shooting targets and some are "wide open" and totally unsupervised.

What do clubs get for being a NSSA club or is there such a thing?

Shouldn't clubs supervise these targets and further have authority to adjust a shooters score if they witness their daily skills during friendly shooting to avoid sand bagging?

What does the NSSA do to enforce honesty and integrity in placing shooters into the correct class?

I have seen too many other sports unregulated only to find that when you honestly participate in a true class, you are competing against "sand baggers" that should be competing in a higher class.

Should I join the NSSA just to be disappointed when traveling to, and spending money only to find these types of situations?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I personally have witnessed very little sand bagging. It could happen sure but in most cases it does not. Join I bet you will enjoy shooting registerd targets at both small and large events. Just remember when going to larger shoots 75+ shooters You will tend to see lower class shooters get hot and shoot way above their head. This is not sand bagging it is just having a good day. We all have those from time to time.

It is just my personal opinion but I feel skeet people are the nicest of any shotgun sport so go out and have a good time.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Looney Toon said:
I have been reading through some the forums about registered targets and keeping the classifications fair and honest. Some clubs offer only certain dates and times for shooting targets and some are "wide open" and totally unsupervised.
You're refering to the "targets only" and "monthly targets" argument. There are a few different reasons people shoot these.

1. Some only want to boost their total number of targets shot. Believe it or not, there's some recognition for total targets shot annually and lifetime. It makes no difference whether you actually HIT any of 'em or not. :shock:

2. Some want to "fix" or just boost their averages. Recognition is given for high averages at the end of the shooting year. In theory, I guess you could shoot all your targets at your home club, and if you've met the minimums, could be named "High Average Leader" in one or all gauges without winning a single title or championship.

3. And although I've seen very little of it, I'm sure there are a few who do it to sandbag, to lower their averages and class.

Those who do it just to boost their class are sometimes referred to as "contributors" or donors. :mrgreen: Yes, maybe they're in AA, but since their best scores are usually shot at their home club, and under less than competitive conditions, they usually tank when they hit the road to shoot a "real" tournament. To them, claiming to be a AA/AAA shooter, and seeing their name in that column on the scoreboard is more important than actually being able to compete at that level. However, their donations are always welcome. :wink:

IMO, those who sandbag to put themselves in a more "favorable" class are a very small minority.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
If someone "sandbags" on targets-only, then goes to registered shoots and blows everyone away in his class, isn't that gonna raise his class?

In other words, how long could the sandbagger shoot both targets-only and registered shoots before his scheme caught up with him and he got stuck in the class where he belongs (where he'd probably get blown away by reall competitors)?

Seems to me that program would be limited pretty much to seriously ego-challenged yayhoos who probably shouldn't stray too far from the couch and TV to begin with.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Case said:
If someone "sandbags" on targets-only, then goes to registered shoots and blows everyone away in his class, isn't that gonna raise his class?
Maybe, maybe not, but the NSSA gave up on the punch system a while back. If he's been breaking mid-80's scores all year at home shooting targets only, he could then take his "E" classification to maybe his state shoot that's offering some amount of added money and win $200 in his class against 4 or 5 other E shooters. It's hard to imagine somebody would do something like this for $200 and the honor :roll: of "winning" Class E, but I'll bet it's been done somewhere.

With the NSSA's new classification system, I think most of your progression up through the classes is based on your average of the last 5 events shot. Then you're only allowed to go down in class once (and only one class) during that shooting year.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
If you join NSSA the magazine alone is worth the $30 IMHO. Good articles. As far as winning any money back...forget it.

You have to have the mindset that I am going to pay $40+ per gauge plus pots to shoot and receive a pittance back when you win your class (depending on how many in your class, total shooters, etc). For example, a few years ago I won the 28 gauge event in my class at a large shoot. It was big enough for Bender and a few others to be there. I was in C class. Because of the number of C class shooters I think I got something like $57 back on a $200 entry fee. You have to win HOA or a couple of gun champs to break even. The only real money I ever won was at the State and World shoots.

Personally, I like league shooting. I have nothing against NSSA, but IMHO, registered shoots are nothing more than a revenue source for the NSSA. When going up through the classes, the only trophies I won were donated by the club. NSSA gave nothing in the way of plaques, trophies, nada. When you're D-B shooter those things matter. I remember one year at the US Open the class medals looked like little hat pins (about 3/4 inch square). Is that the best NSSA can do??

I have been to sporting clay shoots that gave out really nice trophies along with class winnings (again miniscule compared to the entry fee).

·
Registered
426 Posts
Skeet dawg,

NSSA is not the ones making the big bucks on a shoot-- the club is. NSSA makes about $0.03 per target thrown. Same as if you shot Honors Only or Monthly Targets at your home club. What you are paying for is Referees, proof shells, extra targets thrown to confirm the hoop, buffet dinners, perhaps a reception, t-shirts/hats at some shirts, trophies and engraving, software for the computer (who paid for that?) Trap-boys to keep your target machines full, and perhaps a mechanic to adjust your machine when the low-house is throwing just a bit to the outside...

NSSA does good work with their three cents. I support them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.