Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an O/U to shoot clays. Mainly Skeet, but some 5 stand and trap as well. I seldom hunt so that is not an issue. I was at Gander mountain today and fell in love with the Winchester Select energy. It had the adjustable comb and ported barrel.

My questions are:
1) does the ported barrel and adj. comb make that much of a difference?
2) What other guns in that price range (1600 +/-) should I consider?

I am not real recoil sensitive, but don't want to get beat up either!

Any suggestions in this price range, or thoughts on the ported winchester would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Shawn

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, the ported barrel is a negative. It does not reduce recoil and I cannot detect that it reduces muzzle jump (although others swear that the feel a difference in jump). Furthermore, it makes the gun much louder to others on your squad and they are harder to clean.

Frankly, I hate porting enough that it is almost reason enough for me NOT to buy a gun.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
I wouldn't let the porting stop me from buying a shotgun. It may or may NOT reduce recoil or muzzle junp, and it don't have any particular problems cleaning a ported gun. If one must have the ports clean enough to eat off of every time you finish shooting, then so be it, me I clean the ports out about once a year. Loud? So what? All the folks I shoot with wear ear protectioin anyway, and the ones you shoot with should too. I've NEVER had anyone I shot with bellyache about MY ported guns being too loud. For crying out loud, these are shotguns we are talking about here, they MAKE NOISE! I'm not a big select fan, but indeed there are fine Beretta and Browning guns that can be had for that kind of money. Franchi makes a very nice O/U too, the Alcione, in may varities. I bet one of them would fit your bill too. The jury is still out on the Select, but the ones I saw when they first came out had serious fit and finish issues with them, and I don't like the checkering pattern. I know a few folks who do have then and like them very well, but I like my Brownings, Rizzinis, Berettas, and 101 Winchesters far better than any Select I've yet seen, but everybody doesn't like chocolate either!

BP

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
The adjustable comb could come in handy for using the same gun for trap as other sports, assuming it is fairly easy to adjust back and forth between 2 settings. I don't see the porting as much of an advantage, but like BP, I wouldn't cull a gun because of it.

I have no experience with the Select Energy, but I'd be sure I either liked it better, or got a much better price than on a Beretta, Browning, or Rizzini. These 3 are proven designs that will serve you well and have good resale should you change your mind.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a Browning Lightning Sporting clays. It has 30" ported barrels and a Briley tube set to shoot the smaller gauges at skeet. I am very happy with it and have shot lots of skeet, trap, and some sporting clays with it. I think it's in your price range and you could add the tube set later if you want. I am the third owner and it has seen thousands of rounds through it with no malfunctions. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
SJ

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a Browning Lightning Sporting clays. It has 30" ported barrels and a Briley tube set to shoot the smaller gauges at skeet. I am very happy with it and have shot lots of skeet, trap, and some sporting clays with it. I think it's in your price range and you could add the tube set later if you want. I am the third owner and it has seen thousands of rounds through it with no malfunctions. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
SJ

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
I HAD a Browning Lightning Sporting Clays too, the one with the high rib. I used it a few years for all my shooting of the clay games, but after I got several more guns, more specific for their respective events, I found it difficult to switch from my 682X Unsingle for singles and then the Browning for doubles in Trap. I didn't like how high it shot for Skeet, especially since by then I had other 20, 28, and .410s that I shot for Skeet in the small gauges. It was fine for Sporting Clays, I just had to remember to give them a bit more "float" and that usually took a couple stations and a few "lost"s before it came back to me. So, I traded mine off for a new in the box Pigeon Grade 101 Trap and bought a very nice used 425 with adjustable comb for my Sporting Clays and Skeet duties. For me, it was the smartest move I've ever made in changing shotguns. Not that it wasn't a very good shotgun, it was, and if I had decided to keep with just one gun and buy tubes for it for Skeet I'm sure I'd still be shooting it today and would have become completely acclimated to how high it shot. But, I went the other way!

BP

·
Registered
85 Posts
You should look at the Browning Cynergy field model. It is a about $400 more, but the gun is great. It's relatively light and swings great. It doesn't have ported barrels or an adjustable comb but it is a great gun. I have a Cynergy Sporting that I love. You could pick a sporting up for about twice what you want to spend, however I don't think the ported barrel, and extended chokes make it worth a grand more. Also, it has a 3" chamber so you can maybe try some different huntin'.

Happy Shootin'

·
Registered
143 Posts
Rizzini Vertex Sporting. Check Gunsamerica.com. A dealer on this sight was listing at just over 1500. They retail for 1995.00. By the way I picked mine up off of gunbroker.com for 1400.00 new in the box. B. Rizzini's are the best shotgun for the money 1500-3000.

·
Banned
473 Posts
If I were to squeeze all that usage into one gun, I would think that the 30" Browning Citori XS Skeet would come close to doing it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
New to the sport of Trap and Skeet and I went through the same problem.............which gun to get?

Ended up with Beretta White Onyx Sporting 30" barrels and oil finish.

I have over 10,000 through it since August 1 and it still looks like new. Still tight..............weight is 7lbs 11ozs and added a barrel weight for skeet shooting.

I just don't know how you can beat a Beretta.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Funny. I ordered a Beretta White Onyx Sporting the beginning of this week :p . It will be here next week sometime. Can't wait.........

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After a long story(3 guns later) I finally got the Beretta Onyx sporting. It is a great looking gun, but the only issue is that I got a 32" instead of 30. It is what they had in stock. I do not believe that the extra barrel length will pose any problems in shooting skeet, and will help with trap. It balances about 1" in front of the hinge point. Anybody shooting a 32" for skeet out there? This gun will probably never see the field so weight is not an issue.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
32" is just fine for skeet, especially with the light barrels that Beretta is putting on their O/Us these days. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not sure why the gun is not more balanced directly on the hinge pin, but my Bro-in-law has a 34 inch barrel and it also is "barrel heavy". Not to say that it is a bad thing.

I have mine weighted with 12 ounces in the stock and 10 ounces on the barrel with a weight and it balances perfectly at the hinge pin.

Play with it, use it, shoot a few straights and then start tinkering................have fun!!

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I know a lot of guys who shoot 32" barrels for skeet.

I don't shoot skeet tournaments but shoot a lot of it for practice.....and my 34" SC gun does fine (except for high 8 where I have had to move my hold point back).

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I just on gunbroker and did a "sporting clays" search. There is a nice Weatherby Orion Sporting Clays going for $899. It didn't sell last time he tried so minimum bid could probly get it. That was a Mid to upper $1000 gun new. It is basically a SKB who manufactures solid guns.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts