Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently shoot trap and skeet but am interested in sporting clays. I currently shoot a Mossberg 500 (my very first gun). I am very interested in upgrading to an over/under and want to spend about $1,000 to $1,200 dollars.

Do I have reasonable expectations? Can I find one gun that will allow me to shoot reasonably in all three sports? What do you recommend?

Thanks for your input,

Bob

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
you best bet would be a franchi or beretta.these are the models
in franchi:alcione series go with the one you like the best
www.franchiusa.com

in beretta:go with something in the onyx or whitewing series they are under field guns www.berettausa.com

·
2,390 Posts
A Sporting Clays gun can serve very well at skeet, and a skeet gun at Sporting Clays, assuming the gun has choke tubes. The configuration of the two is very similar. Both games can also be shot well with a field gun, given the proper chokes.

A trap gun is a little different animal, being designed to shoot rising targets only. Certainly one can shoot trap with the skeet, sporting or field gun, assuming the proper choke tubes are used. But, one will give up some competitive edge to the shooter shooting a "trap" gun.

Probably the best compromise all-round gun to shoot all three games would be a parallel comb sporting gun with adjustable comb that could be raised up for trap. But, the price for those models is probably going to be more than you are planning.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
I've had the same delima. I bought a Browning Sporting Clays Edition. Has a High rib and 30" ported barrels. It works fine for Skeet, no better than I am and It will in fact break rocks on the trap range. I've been told by some very knowledgable gun dealers that my Sporting clays really isn't any different than the Skeet gun other than the gold writing on the reciever. Since then I've aquired a Beretta 682x Unsingle trap gun, and I can't honestly say it does any better for me for trap. Since it is a Sporting Clays gun, I just have to believe it is ok for that, at least that's what I use it for. I bought it used for about $1300. Less expensive guns or in poorer condition could very well be in your range. I'd keep an eye on the used racks. Seems like the really competitive type wannabes are for ever changing guns trying to impove thier scores rather than just concentrating on technique and practice. Like with golf, it is difficult to buy a game, it is more the operator than the equipment. Some of these guys trade guns every time a new model comes out and if you keep your eyes open you can indeed snag a bargain. Browning, Beretta, SKB, Franchi, and the new Winchester and Remingtons are nice O/Us. I suppose you could opt for a K-80 if you got about 8 grand to spend?

BP

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Bob,

With that budget and a willingness to go into the used gun market you have a WIDE range of choices.

I would actually see if you can SHOOT some of these guns before buying. (that's a big advanatge of going used).

I thought I was going to get a (new) 32 inch Beretta but when I tried it, it did not work for me then I tried the Browing and bingo - I shot it for everything for over 11 years.

Don't get too tied up on a name; most everything in that price range will be good value for money and last a few 100,000 shells if you look after it properly.

Roger

G

·
Like the other guys said, borrow and shoot many before you choose. I feel a shotgun is like a pair of shoes, one size dont fit all. My choice (low cost/decent quality) is SKB and its available in field, skeet and sporting. Having good luck with a sporting for fit and results. Good luck

G

·
I must say you guys sure know ya stuff. Im a junior shooter and i live in Australia. I bought a Beretta U/O 696 Essential for $1200 and its perfect condition 28" barrels 5 chokes and i shoot fine trap skeet and sporting with it. Im 100% satisfied with it.

G

·
just wait and your mind will tell you when the right gun is there. you never know whats round the corner at the next gunshop.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Look at a Browning Citori Hunter Grade 1 12/28. I'm sure some will disagree. I love mine.

A good used one will be around $800-900.

But as stated, you have a wide range to select from.

E

·
Registered
218 Posts
As many have said your options are huge! In the used market you can pick up any number of Browning Citori's, Beretta 686's, maybe 682's, Remington 3200's, maybe Remington 32's, SKB's, Winchester 101's.

New you have Beretta's 686 Whitewing and Blackwing. Maybe SKB's 585, Winchester's Supreme Selects, and maybe a Citori that has been sitting on a shelf way too long.

I would look strongly at the SKB and Winchester Supreme Selects's. Both are a great deal for the money.

Stay away from any Winchester 1001's you find. They are VERY different from the 101!! The 1001's were bad to say the least.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently bought a barely used 12 ga Beretta Whitewing with 28" barrels for $800. Very nice gun. It's light and kicks a bit, but get used to that and it's a good gun.
If you want a budget gun, Beretta or Browning is the way to go. Both make excellent O/U's. Gunbroker.com has some good deal, just make sure you buy from a dealer. Makes the transfer much less of a hassle.

G

·
You might want to look at the Ruger, it's in your price range. IMHO, and lots of others, they are a good gun for the money and they are made in the USA.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just thought some might be interested. There are some good
buys on Winchester Supreme "Field" models on Gunbroker right
now.

harley1911

·
Registered
187 Posts
I purchased a Winchester Supreme Sporting Clays for $950 with 10% new credit card discount. I have shot very well with it. i was team high gun this year, my first year with it and first year of being high gun.

G

·
Your making the same jump I did (my first was also the 500). I would recommend taking a close look at the Franchi, as I have found mine to be a great investment. I recently made the switch to o/u and I chose the Alcione SL Sport. I hunt upland birds and shoot skeet, trap, and sc- but all recreationally, not competitive. With Franchi's setup you can buy the 20ga barrels and it doesn't require any modifications. I have already done this and it makes a great all around gun. It's best suited for the SC, but it works well enough on the other ranges, too. It's fairly heavy at almost 8 lbs and has 30 inch barrels, which I like for both sc and trap, but it still has decent balance and feel with the 20ga barrels when I shoot skeet. I paid $1275 for the gun new from my local dealer and added the 28 inch 20ga barrels for $375 from them as well. Friends with more knowledge and experience than me have commented on the quality and "bang for the buck" that I found. The only warning I would give is that my order took 4 months. Apparently, the boat from Italy takes the long way sometimes. I'm sure that if you live in a more populated area, you can find someone who stocks it. IMHO it would be a good start that offers you options. Good luck!
http://www.franchiusa.com/firearms/alcione-sl.tpl

1 - 16 of 16 Posts