Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
What SEB said, plus:

Many don't like taking expensive and pretty guns into the mud holes associated with waterfowling. Me, I think you're a sissy if you don't. If you pre-treat your gun and then take good care of it when you're done, it will look just like it did when you get back.

If you prefer to shoot a O/U, then I say go for it.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
I'm with Kevin. For years I used a Hunter model Browning Citori as my primary waterfowl gun and it is still my primary duck gun when hunting over water. Even my 525 Sporting gun gets out in the field as I had the chambers bored to 3" when I had the forcing cones lengthened. I look at my guns as tools and not objects of art. I see it as like buying a Dewalt drill but reaching for the Black and Decker to use because it is cheaper. Then again, its someone else's money and they have the right to do as they please.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What seb said.

Other than that, theres no problem with it. I shoot a SxS for ducks. One thing to also consider is that the 2-shot only deal may actually be a good thing. It could stop some people from taking that 3rd shot they really shouldnt be. ;)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Use what you shoot well. With the price of some auto's over $1000 the entry level Browning Lightning or Beretta Onyx aren't out of line for waterfowling. The confined space argument is a non issue. If one is familiar with thier equipment an O/U could be loaded in a phone booth. If you have room to shoot you have room to load it's that simple.
The biggest thing with an O/U compared to other shotguns boils down to shooting skills. If you need a steady diet of 3 & 3 1/2" fodder to fill your limit then a double gun might not be for you. Recoil wouldn't be too pleasant shooting alot of those.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
max152 said:
Can anyone tell me the the good, the bad and the ugly about using an O/U for waterfowl???
I used to hunt waterfowl with a cheap Winchester pump and shoot grouse and skeet with a Beretta 686. After a while, I couldn't stand NOT carrying the 686 when I was hunting ducks, so I started using it. "I bought it to use it," I said to myself, "not to keep it as a safe queen."

Waterfowling is tough on a gun, and when I started to notice the dings and scratches adding up, and worrying about not being able to quickly and easily completely disassemble it for cleaning and maintenance, I decided to stop bringing the 686 into the marshes. Also, that third shot is sometimes just what's needed to anchor a cripple or lightly-hit bird (or to get a triple!).

I bought an AL390 and never looked back. :) (And I still love my 686 dearly.)

Good shooting,
desmobob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.