Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going pheasant hunting for planted birds using an O/U.

Wanted feedback on using IC with 6's on top and Modified with 5's on the bottom.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Depends... Which barrel are you planning on shooting first?

·
Registered
418 Posts
should work fine. That is the way I always choke my o/u but I use 5's on first shot and 4's on second but on wild birds.
Pen raised birds generally flush closer and fly slower so you could even go to 7.5s and then 6's.

have fun!
Wayne

·
Registered
141 Posts
Almost anything will suffice with the pen raised birds. I've shot them with #8 to be cheap but I've found that with that little shot, there is a whole lot of it in the bird if they are within 25yds. Use some #6s and you will be fine.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I usually recommend # 6 or # 7 for my pheasant hunts. Depending on how the particular batch of birds flushes, either IC/M or M/F. Occasionally, we'll get some birds that flush way in front of the dogs, and the extended range of the M/F comes in real handy. I'd ask how the birds are flushing before making my decision. If they're having to be kicked up by the handler, S/IC is good.

- PJ

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use 1 1/4 oz, 1330 fps loads in a 12 gauge. I used to shoot #6 first followed by #4 in the second barrel if needed. However I have switched almost exclusively to # 5 in both barrels. If I have some #6 and #4 loads will use #6 in the early season when the shots are generally a little closer and #4 in the late season when the birds are flushing more wild. I got tired of carrying both types of shells and the #5's have been great.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Gunski,

Did you or do you realize, that if you fire the bottom barrel first,which is the way all non-selectable O/U work, you can get back on target faster? Bottom barrel first keeps the shotgun from flippng upward. Recoil comes more rearward.

That being said, I'd use an open choke for the first barrel and the tighter choke on the second one.

HWD

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
I agree with HWD. I use a Stoeger Condor which shoots bottom barrel first and has the IC choke and the top has the Mod. I also use #6 shot for both barrels since my second shot is pretty quick and the distance didn't open up that much.

Having two different types of shells in two pouches would seem to increase the time between reloading. :? There have been many times where I have had to reload and get on to a second bird pretty quick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.