Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be many ways to lubricate an o/u shotgun, and am curious which is more highly recommended.

There's gun oil, which seemed to be fine on my Browning Citori XS Skeet Special.

but in the high heat here in Texas, several people advised using gun grease, saying it would stay on better and longer than just oil. definitely needs to be cleaned/wiped off immediately after use, as it also tends to accumulate gunpowder, etc.

then there's the synthetic lubricants, like Break-Free, CorrosionX, and others, that say they do all 3 functions of cleaning, lubricating, and protectiing -- does that mean you no longer need to oil or grease your gun's moving parts?

to use the synthetic products in the barrel - I would guess one would spray a cotton patch and run it thru the barrel maybe?
Best way to apply to other parts close to wood parts, spray on cloth and wipe it on?

Best thing to use on the stock and forearm -- pledge, whether in spray form or on the handy towels? other maybe better choices would be...?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have used oil and grease. Tetra gun grease, Super Lube, Pro Shot grease, Lucas Red and Tacky grease. Slip2000 oil, Lucas gun oil, Break Free, etc.

I could make an argument either way. After talking at length to one of the guys that helped Giacomo service perazzis at the Grand, I have been experimenting with Tri Flow for a few weeks now. I will admit it sure is easier to clean up after shooting than grease.

·
Registered
24,350 Posts
I use both oil AND grease - I grease my choke tube threads and my hinge pin (Browning), I oil the working areas of my extractor/ejectors LIGHTLY. I wipe down all metal parts outside and the inside of my barrels with oil.

Some folks have been mentioning using ATF or Mobil 1 as an all around. I have not tried either so will not comment on their appropriateness.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Grease is your best option.

Grease is your second best option too.

Rinse and repeat. :)

Oil is great for protecting surfaces, but it will run out as the gun gets hot... good high temp gun grease won't run.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I use a light film(repeat light) of grease on my O/U choke tubes and all areas of metal to metal contact.Rest of gun is wiped down with a good gun oil (there are many of these). After shooting this is all removed and the process repeated. I must admit I enjoy cleaning my guns as it is a way of remembering how much fun I just had.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I like grease on the barrel to receiver / forend to receiver connection.

I like Break Free - oil on my choke tubes.

I don't change it with the climate / if I travel - I use the same thing all the time.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I used Gunslick on the hinge pins for years. But its black and messy. I've gone to synthetic grease and it works fine.

·
Registered
30,199 Posts
It's better to use a high grade of synthetic gun grease on the hinge pins of a double gun.

Unless that high tech grease isn't handy. Then I use Vaseline, or WD 40, or 3 in 1, or whatever else is handy.

If you don't lubricate the thing at all, it gets hard to open and might "gall" some parts, until you finally lubricate the gun with something, and I don't think it matters very much what the something is. :wink:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Many people will scream but Vaseline works fine. Many double gun smiths will use it in the inner working of the highest grade doubles.

Double gun hinges don't move at high speed - virtually any lubicant will work well. Just choose the one you like best.

But do lubricate the hinge because if you use no lubricant you do risk galling the hook or pin.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Lucas Red & Tacky grease for the actions on my doubles and the choke tubes. It's made to withstand the very high loads semi bearings undergo. I'm sure it will stand up to the loads my shotguns put on it and since it's red I can see where I put It. A tube is only about 6 bucks and if you put it in old prescription bottles like I do it will last you and your whole shooting squad a VERY LONG time. Abbyridge

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
oneounceload said:
I use both oil AND grease - I grease my choke tube threads and my hinge pin (Browning), I oil the working areas of my extractor/ejectors LIGHTLY. I wipe down all metal parts outside and the inside of my barrels with oil.
Some folks have been mentioning using ATF or Mobil 1 as an all around. I have not tried either so will not comment on their appropriateness.
same here, i use any light machine grease on the choke tubes, and hinge (i am actually using gun grease at the moment. because i have some)
i oil the ejectors, with a `gun` oil.
wipe down with 3in1 oil.
never had a problem yet with the few guns i`ve owned.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Generally use grease on the mating parts (knuckles, forearm irons, hinge pins or trunions) of my O/Us, a CLP product for wipedown. White lithium seems to work fine and is inexpensive. Choke tubes ... whatever I've got handy, but I do clean out the threads and replace the lube often (as in every time I clean the gun, which is just about every time I go shooting or hunting). Ten or 15 minutes of cleaning goes a long way to keeping a good gun in good shape.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I don't know why Giacomo states to use oil than grease. I mean, if you are shooting a high end gun like a Perazzi, are you going to be chucking it in the dirt, for dirt to be caught up in the grease and grind down the metal parts? Seems like an odd explaination that he gave me. I don't think the dirt particles in the air will grind up the surfaces of metal and wear our your gun.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I've found Seamus' advice to be true: Use whatever floats your boat, but clean and replace regularly. All of my guns are in silly good shape and I've tried darn near everything. Which leads me to believe, indeed, it's more a matter of what you consistently practice than what products you use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts