Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Lanber O/U and it has a switch where you can select barrel to shot.. do I have to switch the barrel everytime I shoot? or does it do it automaticly?
Yes, I am new to this and dont know squat about shot guns :)

Thanks guys
:?: :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't know that gun but the operation of barrel selctors is pretty much standard.

The barrel selector is used to pick which barrel you want to go off first. The second barrel will fire with your next pull of the trigger.

For whatever reason, the usual standard is that the bottom fires first, then the top. The bottom barrel usually has the more open choke, like improved cylendar, and the top barrel will usually have a tighter choke, like modified.

In the old days prior to screw in chokes, most makers of o-u shotguns had the open choke on the bottom, tighter choke on the top. Non selectable triggers,where you couldn't choose which barrel fired first, always had the bottom fire first. At least I don't know of any that fired the opposite.

So to answer your question, you don't have to worry about the barrel selector. Set it and forget it. Pull that trigger twice and 2 shots will be fired.

Good luck with your new gun.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The theory behind the bottom barrel firing first is it is more inline with your shoulder. This means the gun's muzzle will rise less and make it easier for a fast second shot. The idea behind the first shot being more open is that a bird is more likely to try to put distance between you and him, not the other way around. So your first shot would be closer than your second if you miss on the first one.

Selector's stay where they are set. When you open the shotgun it resets the squence and the chosen "1st" barrel is set to fire "1st" again. If you don't open the gun the trigger is set to fire on the other barrel so you just have to load and pull the trigger.

Get it? Set the selector for the bottom barrel, pull the trigger, the bottom barrel goes off. If you pull the trigger again the top barrel would go off. But if you open the gun to reload. The squence is reset to the bottom barrel first.

·
Registered
161 Posts
One more thing about some o-u shotguns. The second shot may be recoil activated. So if you are dry firing the gun the second barrel won't go off unless you lightly bang on the recoil pad or, while holding on to the shotgun, sort of bang the recoil pad or butt on the floor lightly.

The second dry fire shot will then go off without opening the gun.

Under normal firing of these shotguns, the recoil is enough to activate the 2nd shot. I own 3 shotguns that operate like this, 2 Berettas and a Winchester Supreme.

I own a Ruger Red Label that you can dry fire both shots without the need for recoil to set the 2nd shot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts