Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not really a clay target shooter (mostly a hunter). I've always used all the clay target games for practice, but I am now enjoying them in their own right. My field beretta 686 with 26" barrells proved far to light and whippy. Recently bought a 391 for recoil reduction. Just doesn't feel like an o/u. I'm planning on buying a 686 sporting with 30" barrels. How well do the various recoil reduction devices work for o/u's? I've heard a lot about gracoil. will that system (or any of the other ones) affect the balance of the gun? I really like the 686's balance and slim foreend. I don't want an o/u that ends up feeling like an autoloader. Oh, and I already use light loads (7/8 oz, 1250 for everything except trap)

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Some recoil devices work better than others. The best are the RAD II and similar type units. Changing pads will help too, but given the load you shoot, you may not need any gizmos once you start shooting the heavier gun. If you do change pads, I would go with a Kick-Eez or a Decelerator. I'm not sure that the Simms will hold up very long. Bottom line is that nothing recoils less than a well fitted gun of the proper weight with sensible loads.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I ,too, use a RAD on a 9 lb gun w/ (mostly) 1 oz loads.....too many shots to the body over too many years.....recoil doesn't bother me on any one shot but over a day....NOT FUN at all.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
fs...here's a link to one of the best stock guys around. His site shows several different recoil devices. Before going this route, try shooting the gun first. You can also put about 6oz of shot in a baggy and stuff it into the stock bolt hole. That and shooting 1oz loads will probably tame the gun down to the point where you don't need a device installed. Whatever you do will add some weight to the rear, but you will get used to it as long as you don't overdo things.

http://www.greghissemstockworks.com/

·
Registered
297 Posts
I say shoot the gun first, and you may be surprised. I noticed the recoil on my 391 more than I do with an o/u because the recoil on the 391 is so drawn out. With the o/u, the recoil hits and is gone immediately. I feel like I can get on the second bird quicker with and o/u because of this.

Also, Gun Fit is one of the best recoil reducers there is.....

·
Registered
637 Posts
Sera,

I'm thinking of getting a RAD myself. What setting do you use for 1 oz loads? (I mean the numbers you can dial on the piston)

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts