Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to replace the factory MOD Beretta Optima HP choke and pick up an IM or FULL.Any using OEM Beretta Optima HP chokes? What brands? Problems?

Truelock?
Briley?
Carlson? They're using Carpenter 455 stainless steel in their MOD/IM/FULL.

·
Registered
27,021 Posts
I have a Briley SK, IC, M and LF from the previous owner and a Trulock LM I bought. All work well, no problems.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have state for use with large steel shot.

Finding OEM steel tolerant chokes is easy for Mobile, WinChoke, RemChoke and INVector(plus). Finding steel tolerant chokes for the Optima-HP is challenging.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Try Carlson they specialize in steel shot rated chokes. I would try the Waterfowl IM first. If you have a concern, call Carlson and ask to speak with Shane.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree with Badduck- if going tighter than light mod get the carpenter steel- The guys at Carlson's told me it is very easy to ruin an optima hp barrel running fast steel loads down the barrel with the tighter chokes. I purchased their mod in carpenter steel and like it very much. I believe patternmaster also makes their hp chokes with carpenter steel.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sent a note to Beretta asking if it was safe to use their Optima-HP chokes for large steel (BB) going 1500fps. Also asked what type of steel they used for the Optima-HP chokes. Reply was (1) safe to use and (2) proprietary information. I've had 2 Mobile Mod chokes peen out and am hesitant to believe. I've experienced no problems using Carlson Mobile chokes.

Muller Waterfowl chokes are a tad expensive @ $124/per. Plus haven't heard much about them.

KICKS and Patternmaster have good reputations.

Anyone recommend Briley Optima-HP chokes??

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
seb7515 said:
I sent a note to Beretta asking if it was safe to use their Optima-HP chokes for large steel (BB) going 1500fps. Also asked what type of steel they used for the Optima-HP chokes. Reply was (1) safe to use and (2) proprietary information. I've had 2 Mobile Mod chokes peen out and am hesitant to believe. I've experienced no problems using Carlson Mobile chokes.

Muller Waterfowl chokes are a tad expensive @ $124/per. Plus haven't heard much about them.

KICKS and Patternmaster have good reputations.

Anyone recommend Briley Optima-HP chokes??
I wouldn't give much weight to what a customer service rep. says from Beretta. That's who answers the phones and emails most of the time and they just read from the "script" that's written in front of them, when answering phone calls and emails.

I would go with the Carlson chokes as others have suggested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.