Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's all over now! 3 perfect scores and a whole bunch of high 90% scores scattered through the events at the just concluded South Central Regional. My bet is the competitors enjoyed this shoot more than the bs at the Open....

·
Registered
26,255 Posts
You mean all the mediocre M class shooter?
3 perfect scores and high scores makes it sound like a monthly SYO shoot.

·
Registered
26,255 Posts
Except those folks should EXPECT hard targets that challenge everyone at a Regional just like the Open. Maybe we should just take those top dogs, save the ammo and targets and enter them in a shootoff like they need to do with trap and skeet.

·
Registered
26,255 Posts
I would like to hear Rollins Brown's opinion of the Main Event targets before concluding that the course was set too soft.

It may be that those top ten or so guys are just that good.
Why? I know Rollins, he is an excellent and sponsored shooter; what would that matter?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Rollins’ shot the Main reasonably well and as an experienced sporting competitor, he has seen the whole spectrum of target difficulty. Additionally, he is analytically trained (an attorney). I thought that his assessment of the Main Event targets would be honest and “clinically” accurate.

Others could certainly provide comparable perspective.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I would like to hear Rollins Brown's opinion of the Main Event targets before concluding that the course was set too soft.

It may be that those top ten or so guys are just that good.
Targets can always be set better than shooters. You just have to have the intestinal fortitude to do it for the sake of the game. Nobody is "just that good" when a skilled target setter does their job properly. Don't tell me you can't make a top pro miss 20 targets if you want to. I know the sport depends upon revenue generated from registration of "amateur" shooters, but the sport cannot prosper if the targets are tuned to the likes of the amateurs or the egos of the pros. They call it a competition for a reason. The only solution is to have two tracks at every shoot, fun and prize competition. Entry to prize competition would be by invitation or pre-qualification. Fun would be open to all. Targets would be different for the two classes, and then scores would be kept separate for the two classes. It is the only way to keep the sport from becoming a farce.

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
Targets can always be set better than shooters. You just have to have the intestinal fortitude to do it for the sake of the game. Nobody is "just that good" when a skilled target setter does their job properly. Don't tell me you can't make a top pro miss 20 targets if you want to. I know the sport depends upon revenue generated from registration of "amateur" shooters, but the sport cannot prosper if the targets are tuned to the likes of the amateurs or the egos of the pros. They call it a competition for a reason. The only solution is to have two tracks at every shoot, fun and prize competition. Entry to prize competition would be by invitation or pre-qualification. Fun would be open to all. Targets would be different for the two classes, and then scores would be kept separate for the two classes. It is the only way to keep the sport from becoming a farce.
Uh………. Well, you realize shotguns have ballistic limitations? So yes, you can make the best in the world ‘miss 20 times’ but that doesn’t mean the setter is besting the shooters.

And yes, the top10-20 are just that good if the targets being thrown are within the ballistic capabilities of the best shooters.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Uh………. Well, you realize shotguns have ballistic limitations? So yes, you can make the best in the world ‘miss 20 times’ but that doesn’t mean the setter is besting the shooters.

And yes, the top10-20 are just that good if the targets being thrown are within the ballistic capabilities of the best shooters.
So are you saying the gun would fail to keep up before the shooter would? That would be an even worse situation suggesting the game is totally unsuited to top level competition. I hope not.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts

I guess that means I’ll be riding the ‘short bus ‘

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
No, not saying that at all. I’m saying the very best shooters aren’t going to miss 20 of 200 reasonably set targets.

And if they did, the course and/ or conditions would be considered ridiculous. Again, yes, the best are just that good.

·
Registered
Browning Citori O/U 20 Gauge
118 Posts
No, not saying that at all. I’m saying the very best shooters aren’t going to miss 20 of 200 reasonably set targets.

And if they did, the course and/ or conditions would be considered ridiculous. Again, yes, the best are just that good.

Okay. Then, what's changed since 20 years ago?

Shooters were mortal human beings and just as talented. So that can't be it.

Shooters had access to affordable ammunition for practice. So that can't be it.

Equipment was just as good. So that can't be it.

I can't think of anything. What could it be? What's changed?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Very tough for a target setter to come up with a course that keeps the C, B and A classes engaged but doesn't allow a bunch of perfect scores from people who approach the game with open checkbooks and unlimited practice time.

If i'm a club owner i'll take this result over something that just demoralizes 70% of the field. The guys with the perfect scores paid the same entry fees as the lowest score in E class.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Okay. Then, what's changed since 20 years ago?

Shooters were mortal human beings and just as talented. So that can't be it.

Shooters had access to affordable ammunition for practice. So that can't be it.

Equipment was just as good. So that can't be it.

I can't think of anything. What could it be? What's changed?
I am a mediocre shot, am 80 y.o. and have shot sporting clays for near 40 years. I haven't shot in any "Big Bang" tournaments but regularly shoot with A and AA shooters and a couple of old M class shooters. I also shoot with bird hunters that have been at it a long time and are very good shots. IMO the changes in the sporting clays game have been unmistakable and are incredible. If you want to get a great snapshot read Anthony Matarese's new book.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Targets can be set within the maximum effective range of a 12-gauge shotgun and made so difficult that not even the best in the game can break them; okay, what have you accomplished?

Assuming a Tour event, one of the same 10 or 15 guys is going to win - maybe straight up and maybe in a shoot off. But, what difference does it make if a shoot off starts from a 195 basis or 175? The club shooters who showed up to enjoy the experience (without any thought of winning anything) have been handed their heads - to what purpose? You don't want them to have a good time or attend another major?

From a skilled setter, a sporting shooter should expect: 1. varied and interesting target presentations; it isn't skeet. 2. a fair look at all targets; if you can't see them, hitting them is luck, not skill. 3. targets that are consistently breakable - given proper technique and a well executed plan (i.e., practiced skill). If a target setter has delivered those basics, he has done his job. And, none of that precludes a top shooter from breaking them all. So, where's the harm in some middle "B" guy hanging 68 instead of struggling for 36?

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's all over now! 3 perfect scores and a whole bunch of high 90% scores scattered through the events at the just concluded South Central Regional. My bet is the competitors enjoyed this shoot more than the bs at the Open....
You mean we're all getting too old to walk around the clays course & now meet the 85 y.o. minimum age limit for traps?

1 - 20 of 215 Posts