Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance for helping out here. I have 2 sizemasters one 12ga and one in 20ga. I would like to use the same powder for both to help with the costs, but it comes at the expense of dropping down to 1oz on the 12ga and 3/4oz on the 12ga.

The recipes are:

12Ga: Remington STS Hull
Green Dot
Rem 209P
Green Duster Wad
1200 FPS @ 19.5g 7500psi
#8 Shot

20Ga: Remington STS Hull
Green Dot
Remington 209P
RXP 20 Wad
1200 FPS @ 15.5g 9310 psi
#9 shot

The 12ga will be used for Trap and the 20ga for skeet

What will I be giving up by reducing the load down to save on buying 1 powder and just buying 2 different wads.

Would I be better served by buying 2 different powders and 2 different wads to have a 7/8oz load and 1 1/8oz load... Why?

This forum is a valuable learning tool and thanks again for your replies.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
you mean 3/4 oz on the 20 ga ? unless you're using some ole stach of compoents, find cheaper primers & clone wads.. will save you $$$ myself, I would go to 2 powders, & decide what charge bars you need. for me, 7/8 on the 16 & international trap , sporting & skeet.. 1 1/8 on the long handicap

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bust'em

Your correct. I already have the primers, and the 2 sizemasters. My choice is between buying 1 powder and going to 3/4oz and 1 oz. Or 2 different powders and staying at 7/8 oz and 1 1/8 most of my trap is from 16 yd. I just didn't know what I would be giving up (pattern wise, etc) or if this is acceptable thinking.

·
Administrator
23,919 Posts
There is nothing wrong with your loads, but I would suggest that you either use Orange Duster wads or the Claybusters for the 20 and 3/4 oz. I use the Greendot load with the claybusters and they absolutely crush targets. I also load 3/4 in the 12, but that is a bit light for Greendot and there would be better choices.
Those OEM wads are a bit pricey. Reloading is a great way to get high quality at a frugal price. Me Likey! :D

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
bg1856,
There really is nothing to be gained from using just 1 powder. You have to make some compromises when you do, and for me, I would rather have top performance from both gauges, than to have a compromise for both.

Alliant powder is American made and is reasonably priced, and totally efficient. That is what I will recommend to you.

For 12 ga. the powder is Clay Dot, and will provide great reloads from 3/4 oz. thru 1-1/8 oz.

For the 20 ga, the powder is Alliant's 20/28. It will provide loads from 5/8 oz. thru 1 oz.

Using a single powder, you cannot get all these different loads.

The initial outlay to purchase the two powders is the only difference. In actual costs, it costs no more per load to use two powders, and the versatility is far greater.

You will also need more that two wads. The lite loads and the heavy loads in either gauge, will not and cannot use the same wads. The wads MUST be selected to match the payloads used.
DLM

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DL, This is very good information and I will take it into consideration. As a casual weekend shooter who shoots apporx 500 shells per month. I am not discounting the versatility that the two powders offer. I am just wondering on what effect one powder over two will have as far as "performance" goes with a smaller load. Will I be at a disadvantage in any way by shooting lighter loads on (recreational) 16yd trap and skeet. Thanks

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
bg1856,
I can give you a 7/8 oz. 12 ga. load with the Clay Dot that will break 16 yard trap targets quite nicely if you do your part in pointing the gun correctly.

By the same token I can give you a 3/4 oz. 20 ga. load with 20/28 that is a target smasher at Skeet. The 12 ga. 7/8 oz. load will do a number on Skeet targets also.

It all depends in what you have confidense in. With these two powders, you can build any target load you please and most huntin loads also.

DLM

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
My take is slightly different, I'd get Promo, Red Dot, Clay Dot, 700-X or REX-1 and load nothing but 1 oz loads in the 12 ga. That is precisely what I do too.

For 20 ga I'd get either Universal or Unique and load 7/8 oz loads, but they will work fine for 3/4 oz loads too. I've not loaded any 20 ga with 20/28 but see no reason why it would not work plumb fine for the 20 ga loads, either 3/4 or 7/8. One reason I may want to keep with Universal or Unique is I sometimes want a more hearty 1-1/8 or 1-1/4 oz 12 ga load or load .40 Smith, .45 ACP and .45 Colt too, and I prefer Universal or Unique for that. If you have no need for the other uses I have for Universal or Unique, 20/28 just may be the ticket.

Either way, 2 powders is the "better" way to go.

BP

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
BP's advise is good, and that's what I would do too, (were I shooting Trap), meaning use 1 oz. loads in the 12 ga.. That's about all I have used for what little trap I do shoot, and at the closer targets in Sporting.

While I shoot 1 oz. loads at Registered Skeet in the 12 ga., my favorite Skeet practice load is the 3/4 oz. 20 ga. load, which I shoot more of than any other load in any gauge. However I go the full 7/8 oz. for Registered Skeet in the 20 ga. Just a confidense thing I guess.

DLM

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
If cost is part of the equation (and it appears it is), then consider a 7/8 oz load in the 12 and a 3/4 oz load in the 20. Shot is by far the most expensive part of reloading (although primers are trying to get there). Trying to load both gauges with one powder would probably end up costing more in the long run than having two powders, and you would be compromising performance with 1 powder.

For 16 yard trap, you don't need a 1 oz load.... 7/8 oz with an improved mod, light full, or full choke will do the job. If you ain't on the bird, it don't matter how much shot you're throwin' out there.... the bird won't break.

Skeet - the .410 is what separates the men from the boys. 3/4 oz of #8 or #8-1/2 will break every bird if you do your part.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I too would vote on using two powders as you can get what you are looking for. I myself shoot 12GA 24Gram international loads using Alliant's American Select, Shooting wobble trap I smash 45-50yard targets with LM! As for using 20/28 I just started using that instead of Longshot (much cleaner). I noticed that loading CB Waa20 knockoffs the powder took up too much space and resulted in pellets in the crimp. I switched to windjammers and the problem was solved (they CRUSH targets). Both loads I use are as follows.

12GA 24- Gram load

Hull: Rem STS
Primer: Fio 616
Wad: CB-1100 12 ( WAA12L knockoff)
Powder: Alliant American Select
Charge Weight: 20.5 Gr.
Shot: 24 Grams West Coast # 8
1,345 Fps. 8,700psi

20GA load

Hull: Win AA hs
Primer: Win 209 (I will switch when these are gone)
Wad: Windjammer 20ga
Powder: Alliant 20/28
Charge weight: 16.7 Gr.
Shot: 7/8oz. West Coast # 8
1,250Fps. 10,690psi

(Both loads straight out of the 2009 Alliant Powder manual)

-Berettaclayshooter

·
Registered
207 Posts
im new to this board but by one way of thinking which does not mean it is right but why would you lower your shot wt. which is #of pellets in pattern . if you go with 2 powders and load more shot 1 1/8 rather than 1 oz you will be way happier when you are busting more clays or game than the $ you would save on shot and powder savings ?

just my 2 pennys :?

·
Administrator
23,919 Posts
Just because you are dropping less shot, it does not therefore mean that you are missing more targets. You may hit more and save on shot also.

·
Registered
207 Posts
could you better explain the less shot more hits a little better for me

just so it can make sense to me you may be right i had a fella who shoots and reloads alot tell me what i just rendered a few posts ago
when he told me that ithought that less shot would make me bear down on the gun and aim better??

·
Administrator
23,919 Posts
Read what I posted, I did not say that you Would hit more targets with less shot.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys for all the advice, and you have me convinced that 2 powders is the way to go. With that being said. I am considering the 20/28 and the Clay Dot for 20ga and 12 ga. With that being said most of the recipes that I have viewed only go down to 7/8oz for the 20/28 and 1oz for the clay dot. Where or how do I determine the recipe to go down to 3/4 oz for the 20/28 and 7/8oz for the clay dot. I have not seen these loads published.

·
Administrator
23,919 Posts
Use the 7/8 recipe that is the hottest for the components that you wasnt to use, and just drop 3/4 oz of shot instead.
There will be no pressure problems if you do that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.