Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
bg1856,
There really is nothing to be gained from using just 1 powder. You have to make some compromises when you do, and for me, I would rather have top performance from both gauges, than to have a compromise for both.

Alliant powder is American made and is reasonably priced, and totally efficient. That is what I will recommend to you.

For 12 ga. the powder is Clay Dot, and will provide great reloads from 3/4 oz. thru 1-1/8 oz.

For the 20 ga, the powder is Alliant's 20/28. It will provide loads from 5/8 oz. thru 1 oz.

Using a single powder, you cannot get all these different loads.

The initial outlay to purchase the two powders is the only difference. In actual costs, it costs no more per load to use two powders, and the versatility is far greater.

You will also need more that two wads. The lite loads and the heavy loads in either gauge, will not and cannot use the same wads. The wads MUST be selected to match the payloads used.
DLM

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
bg1856,
I can give you a 7/8 oz. 12 ga. load with the Clay Dot that will break 16 yard trap targets quite nicely if you do your part in pointing the gun correctly.

By the same token I can give you a 3/4 oz. 20 ga. load with 20/28 that is a target smasher at Skeet. The 12 ga. 7/8 oz. load will do a number on Skeet targets also.

It all depends in what you have confidense in. With these two powders, you can build any target load you please and most huntin loads also.

DLM

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
BP's advise is good, and that's what I would do too, (were I shooting Trap), meaning use 1 oz. loads in the 12 ga.. That's about all I have used for what little trap I do shoot, and at the closer targets in Sporting.

While I shoot 1 oz. loads at Registered Skeet in the 12 ga., my favorite Skeet practice load is the 3/4 oz. 20 ga. load, which I shoot more of than any other load in any gauge. However I go the full 7/8 oz. for Registered Skeet in the 20 ga. Just a confidense thing I guess.

DLM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.