Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have an old double barrel shotgun and was wondering if anyone could possibly give me some information on it. I have no idea how old it is but was kind of curious. The only markings on it that I can make out is "W.Richards" on the side of the stock just above the triggers. I don't know what gauge it is or anything else about it. I don't know a lot about guns. If anyone can help me out with this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Registered
596 Posts
W Richards was the trade name used by one of the Belgium manufacturers in the late 19th & early 20th century This was an attempt to draw upon the prestige of Wesley Richards which was a well known and expensive British shotgun maker.
These gun invariably have damascus or laminated steel barrels are usually in 12 ***** and are very cheaply made. The Belgiun gunmakers turned out a lot of cheap junk during this period and didn't have anywhere's near the reputation for quality they have today.
Do NOT attempt to fire this shotgun since it's basically a wall hanger.
Jim M

·
Registered
73 Posts
There are more than just the Belgium W. Richards marked shotguns, you need to supply the proof marks (found on the bottom of the barrel under forearm) One very respected English shotgun maker marked their guns "W. Richards".

·
Registered
596 Posts
Real Westley Richards shotguns made in England are/were NEVER marked "W.Richards". The name is always spelled out completely. A real one will also have Brittish not Belgium proffmarks on the receiver flats.
Jim

·
Registered
596 Posts
Real Westley Richards shotguns made in England are/were NEVER marked "W.Richards". The name is always spelled out completely. A real one will also have Brittish not Belgium proffmarks on the receiver flats.
Jim

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
There were 3 or 4 different W.Richards listed as gunsmiths in England all about the same time from what I have heard. Add to that the belgian and any American 'smiths trying for a little hanky panky and the Richards name get quite convoluted. The proofmarks will tell the tale and if there's an address on it as seemed common with English 'smiths.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts