Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to find out about a gun that was my grandpas and cant find it in my book.Its an old double barrel,it says Central Arms,St Louis, and its a 16 ***** hammerless. Thanks Dave

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
If it says Central Arms Co., it was made by Crescent Fire Arms Co. for Shapleigh Hardware of St. Louis, MO 1904-1930. Sidelocks were built by Crescent and the box lock by Stevens. Not sure what that means about the boxlock and side locks. Does it mean that the box lock part of the gun was built by Stevens and installed in the Crescent gun? Souce: Side by Sides of the World for Y2K.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Boxlock and Sidelock are two different animals. The side plates of a sidelock can be removed to access the internals and a boxlock is nigh impossible to get into. Sidelocks almost always have outside hammers and boxlocks seldom do.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I know the difference between sidelock and boxlock. What I'm trying to figure out is the statement in the book that the gun was made by Crescent. Did Crescent use Stevens sidelocks in this gun or was the complete gun made by Stevens? The statement in the book is not clear.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Sorry, didn't quite understand what you meant before. If the gun is a boxlock, the entire gun was made by Stevens, and if it is a sidelock it was made by Crescent.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks alot guys im learning alot from this site and guys like you.Whats the gun worth i cant find it in my book I found were it said about the central arms but no value the only other writing i could find was under the half stock and that was R3084. Thanks Dave

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Most of these old Trade guns run between $75 to $200, depending on condition and how bad the other guy wants it. I see them at gun shows and usually at higher prices, but they aren't moving them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks thats what i figured but i wanted to know before i put a new stock and re blued the gun didnt want to ruin the value otherwise i was gonna buy my dad a new shotgun and keep this one. thanks Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts