Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a second series, also known as a 201 series, Franchi Alcione Super grade manufactured in the 1950s and early 60s, serial #11024. The gun is super light, beautifully engraved and great for upland birds such as pheasants. Trouble is it had a broken sear several years ago and has been successively ruined by inept "gunsmiths" who tried to weld the sears, file other parts in an attempt to make them work with badly welded sears and generally screwed everything up. It now needs both sears, a safety, the safety trigger block and the bolt block. I have now found a good gunsmith who says the parts are impossible to find unless I can find a similar gun that is being parted out. He says he can machine the needed parts and make my Alcione like new again, but it would cost about $1,000 and is simply not worth it since the gun itself, in working condition, would only be worth about that much or a little more. So I'm in the situation of either finding a similar gun with the parts I need or parting mine out -- barrels are in excellent shape, as is the stock. fore-end and engraved breachblock -- just the insides are bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've tried Numrich and many others. Numrich says they get parts for old Franchis "occasionally," but haven't had the parts I need for three years now.

·
Registered
819 Posts
You have third option - hang the gun over the fireplace (or other place) as decoration and start shopping for a new one. If it is as nice as you describe, it would be my choice.

For $1000 you can get very close to brand new Franchi Veloce, probably even lighter than the one you have as it has aluminum receiver.

The only way I would be fixing gun such as yours for that price is if I could get gurantee that the gun will work as new to my satisfaction when all done.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I think I'd make it a wall hanger too. And constantly be on the lookout for another one so you can get it for parts if the timing and $ were right.

And don't sell yourself short, you've GOT to replace it with another O/U of your choice. That'd be my excuse for another O/U purchase anyway 8)

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Have you compared the trigger group to new models? I once
replaced an entire trigger group in an old Beretta Silver Snipe,
with a new version from a BL3. It is often the case that as
changes are made in trigger mechanisms that they keep
using the same basic block of steel for the actions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.