Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an old geezer who has never loaded shotshells,but have loaded about 25K rifle and handgun rounds.
About 15 years ago I was going to start loading slugs for my son,who lives in New York.At that time,he was limited to shotgun,muzzle-loader,or pistol for deer.He got a TC contender and a 35 Rem barrel so that need disappeared.
I laid in a fair supply of powder,primers,200 # of shot,wads,buffer,etc. at the time.I also have over 1000 12 Ga. AA hulls - once-fired and over 5 years old.
Now,I'm starting to trapshoot regularly and am going thru my factory AA's pretty fast.
My question is,with AA heavy handicap loads still selling for $5.97 a box,should I even consider buying a Mec Sizemaster and using up these components?
I shoot about 100 rounds/week and still have about 2 months supply of factory loads.
With the price of lead shot @ $45/25# in this area,I could buy a lot of factory ammo if I sold the components.They have been stored in a cool,dry place and still useable.Heck,I've even got a few pounds of Hodgdon's original 4831 surplus powder that is still in fine shape and useable.That stuff was sold in the 1950's.
One other factor is I'm 71 and may only be shooting another 10 years or so.
I do hunt predators and getting good loads of buffered,copper-plated BB's and 2's is getting difficult and expensive.

Thanks !
Ron

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
welcome old geezer,

Clean out the big boxes when they run their specials on promo loads for trap, normal hunting. 15-20, 30 flats a year can keep a man busy on a trapfield. at 3.00-350 a box , you can't load for that.
Since your shooting trap at the gunclub, I'm sure someone there might let you borrow a reloader for your special hunting need & you can use up your stach, might trade lies with someone. or buy a used one cheap.
good luck & go get em.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
If you don't mind shooting promo loads, Bust'em is right. But I'm also an old fart and after shooting my 1oz/1150fps reloads can tell you I'd never go back to factory ammo. There's hardly any recoil with my reloads. Unless you're looking for low recoil , or low pressure for old guns, or something special , it's cheaper to shoot factory ammo. Paul

·
Registered
323 Posts
With the price of components what they are these days, it is getting harder and harder to justify reloading on a cost basis. But there is some pleasure involved in reloading itself, for some people. And Paul is right about soft loads, which probably break as many birds as factory loads. You are in the enviable position of having cheap compnents, if you like to reload. If not, you can sell the components and buy promo shells, which probably break as many birds as AAs.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I think the days of loading for economy may be past us. I can hardly load 12 ***** shells for what I can buy shells for. Of course if I mean the "promo" loadings. I can still load a shell equal to the AA or Rems for less, but not a LOT less. I shoot a lot of skeet and MY savings are on 28 and 410 shells. There the savings is quite substancial.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys,for the input !!
How do the new silver-grey AA's compare to the older red AA?
If I buy more factory loads,should I stay with the AA or get the good Remington's? Seems like a lot of posters now prefer the Remington.
-Donwads
As far as the buffer,I have 4 bags of the Tru-Square #520
for predator/turkey loads with copper-plated BB',2's,3's,and 4's.I'm a big fan of WW's Super-X XX 2 & 3/4" magnums for turkey and my stock is buffered with copper-plated shot.
I also have several bags of BPI'S Mix #47 buffer for buckshot.
The shot includes 100# of hard 8's,some magnum 4's,and 40# of copper-plated BB',2's,3's,and 4's.
Powder includes 10 # Reddot,Unique,BlueDot,and Greendot.Primers are WW209's,wads are WAA12's mostly with several boxes of the Feltran Bluestreak (for old slug loads),cardboard overpowder wads,etc.
I used to be a fan of WW's brush loads for grouse and woods rabbits,so I've also got a few bags of BPI"s Polywads.
I've a NIB Lee Loadall that is going to go down the road,regardless of whether I decide to reload or not.
Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.