Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old L.C. Smith Dbl. 12 Ga. with very few markings on it. It is a hammerless gun and it says " Ammor Steel " on it. Is it safe to shoot modern ammo in it? Also I dont see the choke size on the barrles, are they marked somewere on the gun?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Old is subjective.

I don't think it has damascus barrels so it *should* be safe to shoot depending on how it's been taken care of and general condition. if in doubt have a gunsmith check it out.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
You can always buy some Briley inserts and shoot sub-***** loads. They are rated for modern shells and even steel shot and put some more miles on the gun and not worry about tearing up your gun.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
AS Marland suggested,have a good gunsmith check it first. Then,I would suggest shooting either blackpowder or low pressure nitro loads.You can buy the LP nitros relatively cheap at Galazan's or ARMUSA, blackpowder at Galazan's as well.Check out the 28 gauge post on the gun opinions forum. I've included links to Kent/Gamebore and ARMUSA sites there. The Kent site lists pressures,and sells ,but I found the shells I use cheaper at Galazan's. You can use inserts,but a lot of people just go lower pressure shells in order to shoot the gun as it was originally designed,balanced,etc.
Good Luck,
Jim

G

·
I have a similar situation with a Lefever 12 SS with "nitro" barrels. As I understand it the modern powder is not a problem with these barrels but the steel shoot is; for two reasons. The steel shot increases the pressure and may score the inside of these barrels.
Is this accurate? ..... and I'm wondering how Bismuth and Tungsten Iron shot behave. I guess what I'm looking for is an alternate to lead.....well I quess that's obvious and so is everyone else!
I'd appreciate any ideas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts