Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be happy if anyone could help me with identifying a gun for a friend of mine.

It is an old L.C. Smith, serial number 133619 F
12 gauge

On the left barrel it says... Hunter Arms Co Makers Fulton NY

It appears to have damascus barrels and has exposed hammers.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
According to the L. C. Smith production records compiled by James Stubbendieck, that is an F grade gun made in 1904. Damascus barrels are correct for an L. C. Smith hammer gun made at that time, although some were also made with twist or Royal Steel barrels.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flues16 said:
According to the L. C. Smith production records compiled by James Stubbendieck, that is an F grade gun made in 1904. Damascus barrels are correct for an L. C. Smith hammer gun made at that time, although some were also made with twist or Royal Steel barrels.
Gun is in pretty good shape for being that old and appears to be in working order. I advised my friend to have a competent smith inspect it and if usable might be able to use RST or something designed for older guns.

I know this is an unfair question without pictures, but would you have a ballpark on value?

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Winch66 said:
The SN comes back as 1930

The older "F" grade had external hammers

An "F" stamped at the end of the SN would denote a Featherweight frame - standard frames had no letter suffix with the SN.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CriscoKid said:
Winch66 said:
The SN comes back as 1930

The older "F" grade had external hammers

An "F" stamped at the end of the SN would denote a Featherweight frame - standard frames had no letter suffix with the SN.

I am sorry, I did a horrible job on my original post including the F in the serial #
The F is on the watertable but not connected to the 6 digit serial#
Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Gentlemen,

In the original post it was stated that this gun has exposed Hammers, making it a 12 gauge F Grade Hammer Gun. Now it very well maybe a gun that had a duplicate SN, or a late 1930's original Hammer Gun made with Damascus Barrels. I would like to see a picture of the gun, before I would render any opinion on the gun. Some times SN on L.C. Smith guns can be tricky, remember there were many SN duplicated.

Too bad this is not a 16 gauge Hammer Gun, I would be very interested in it.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pine Creek/Dave said:
Gentlemen,

In the original post it was stated that this gun has exposed Hammers, making it a 12 gauge F Grade Hammer Gun. Now it very well maybe a gun that had a duplicate SN, or a late 1930's original Hammer Gun made with Damascus Barrels. I would like to see a picture of the gun, before I would render any opinion on the gun. Some times SN on L.C. Smith guns can be tricky, remember there were many SN duplicated.

Too bad this is not a 16 gauge Hammer Gun, I would be very interested in it.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man
I will see if my friend can send me pictures, but I doubt I am computer savvy enough to get them on here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts