Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I recently finished off two cases (10,000) of Federal 209As that were at least 30 years old. Big paper notice in the boxes that they were not 209s, but 209As.. that and the age of the rest of the components I picked up at an estate sale make me think that they dated from when the 209As first came out. Despite their age, worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Like propellants, unless primers have been stored for long periods in wet and/or excessively hot conditions, they'll be good virtually forever.

I'm back to diddling around in the black powder lunacy and recently read somwhere that someone tested some original percussion caps well more than 100 years old and they touched off the powder normally.

And caps don't even have sealers on the open end.

·
Registered
155 Posts
yardmasterjeff said:
I have about 1500 win 209 primers about 10-15 years old, are they safe to use?
No they are very dangerous and you should not use them.
Ship them to me and I will safely and properly dispose of them for you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good one sum-rifle I needed a laugh today :D . Your timing was off though.....if you had been the first or only reply, you might have gotten some free primers. Better luck next time. Have a good day! :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.