Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine picked up an old shotgun, he would like me to clean it up. Before i start i would like some idea of it's value,(don't want to mess with it if it has any great value). It is a single shot 10ga(i think) external hammer the break open lever is in front of the trigger guard.All i can make out on the lock is St.Etienne, (french mfg?). Has anyone seen something like this? He does'nt want to shoot it only for decor.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yes, we've seen lots that match your limited description. St. Etienne has been the address of dozens (maybe hundreds?) of firearms manufacturers going back to the days of matchlocks. I can't see you doing much that would reduce the value of a single-shot break-action breech-loader. They usually bring less than $100 even in better condition than your friend's seems to be. I wouldn't go too far with the cleaning anyway. Use a good wood cleaner and furniture polish on the stock, bronze wool and gun oil to remove any rust without damaging any remaining original finish, then re-assemble it with a light coat of gun oil and put it over the mantle. Maybe the cleaning will reveal some proofmarks or other clues to the actual manufacturer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts