Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend purchased a WR at a garage sale and is looking for a rough idea of its value.He brought it to a gun shop and they said it was hard to determine the value.Its a 12Ga SxS with dual hammers.The break for the breech is located on the begining of the forearm.It is designed for shooting black powder shells.The man at the gun shop said he would place it from the mid 1800s.There is no serial #.Does anybody have a clue about these types of guns?If anyone knows a WR expert please let me know.

G

·
Please describe the exact spelling of Westly Richards on the firearm. Chances are that he does not have real Westly Richards as there were many inexpensive guns of that period that were manufactured with some form of bastardised spelling to try to make people think they were getting the real thing.
It has Damascus barrels and is an accident waiting to happen.-Dick

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
Dick and Jim are correct. The proof marks will tell the story. If the spelling,is indeed,Westley Richards and the proof marks are Birmingham,you may have a valuable gun. If there are no proof marks or if they are Belgium,you may have a wallhanger JABC or inexpensive US made counterfit.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
What your are describing as a break down lever is almost certainly a Lefaucheux type action. I don't think this action was ever used by Westley Richards.. There's a 99% chance it's a Belgian clunker.. Bushrod

1 - 5 of 5 Posts