Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited a shotgun that's probably 50 years old or more. Would someone please help me figure out what it's economic value is?

It's a winchester and says only "Winchester" and "Super X" on it. No serial number that I can see and no other markings. It's a .410 double barrel, side-by-side with two triggers. When you open the breach, the shells don't pop out. You have to pick them out. It's in remarkably good condition and functions flawlessly.

Thank you for your help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not to get your hopes up unjustifiably, but I looked at the 2004 gun values book and the only gun matching your description is stated to be worth $37,000. Would you make sure the gun has no serial number anywhere on it? I will post the Gun Values entry when I get home.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Yup, the only match for that description is a .410 Model 21... The value on this gun is determined by the bidders at the auction... but it's 5 figures.

Built after 1955, but there reportedly was one built for John Olin in 1950, the book says only about 50 were built.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Two triggers on a 21 was not the 'norm'--however, one of the downfalls of the 21 was that you could get just about anything you wanted.

This is going to be VERY interesting!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I pulled my "The Model 21" book out by noted Winchester author Ned Schwing.

He states that between 1951 and 1960 there were only 44 documented Model 21s made in .410.

Several questions;

Any engraving on the receiver at all? If so, describe it.

Barrel length?

Grips--straight or pistol?

Butt type--plate, checkered, pad or leather?

Choke--full/full, mod/ful, skt/skt, ic/m, m/skt?

All Model 21s made in this period had serial numbers--the number should be stamped right underneith the top lever and will be visable when you push it to the right to open the gun.

On the water table, (the flat area of the reciever after you have removed the barrels) it will stamped as follows:

MADE IN USA MODEL 21
WINCHESTER REPEATING ARMS CO
NEW HAVEN, CONN

If the gun is so stamped on the water table, call you local armed guard service and request 24/7 security.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I'm glad you guys posted this, I saw that last night and didn't believe it, I figured I'd get all excited and post the bluebook info and someone would correct me saying that Win imported some little SxS so I just sat back... this will get good before it's done....

* Model 21 .410 Bore
- retail prices for original guns may be expected to range between $25,000 and $45,000 for mechanically sound guns depending on quality of finish. These prices take into consideration the reported sale of a plain standard gun in recent years for $37,000. Non-original guns with add-on factory barrels would probably be reduced by one-third.

ummm who neds that hassle? I'll give you $10 bucks sight unseen so you can just sit back and relax..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! I'm sure it won't end up being that valuable, but it is intriguing. Thanks already for the help.

I found a serial number on the gun, just under the left barrel when you break it open. The serial number is 2215. The gun says "SUPER X" between the barrels on the top.

The receiver has about 5 star-like patterns on it, more like a representation of an atom than a star, really.

I have taken pictures. Is it possible to post them here? I will e-mail them to someone else if they can post them.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Yeah you can upload straight from your machine. Look at the top of the page for the link that says "album" all the instructions are there . you might have to crop your pictures a bit since there's a limit on the size..

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
you might want to consider contacting

Buffalo Bill Historical Center
http://www.bbhc.org
Firearms Museum
PO Box 1000
Cody, WY 82414
307-587-4771

·
Registered
285 Posts
At this point, given the information we have, what are the gusses that this IS or IS NO the Winchester Model 21?

My guess, it is NOT. My reasons to follow after we get the first ten guesses.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
MarlandS, Old Gunner, et al.

Don't leave us lurkers out in the cold on this one. Let us know too what it is. I've been reading this post every couple of hours to see if any new info came up.

We need a conclusion to this story please.

Speaking for lurkers, Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Hell if this will hurry it along.

my guess is NO cause of the "Super X"

·
Registered
41 Posts
The stock and forearm are checkered. The receiver has no precious metals on it, but it does have some simple engraved symbols. I can check on the length of the barrels and butt plate material if anyone is interested after the pictures are posted.

I am posting 6 pictures on the album part of the site. Please let me know if there are additional pictures that would be helpful in Identifying or valuing the gun.

·
Registered
285 Posts
OK, Oldgunner has posted 6 pics to the album. Be sure to go there and click on each pic to make it large for viewing--also comes up in color.

This gun is NOT a Model 21 based on the following (IMHO):

The gun is apparently stamped "SuperX"--my reaserch says nothing about any M21 being so stamped (however, in itself this is not conclusive). I also don't think Winchester began using SuperX on guns until the late 60s or 70s.

The serial # (2215), if it were a M21, would have it being made in early 1930s--the first 410 M21 was not produced until 1951.
Again not entirely conclusive due to the fact that all M21s were not produced in sequence to the serial #--however 25 years is a long time for the frame to be sitting around yet to be completed.

Additionaly, the serial # is in the wrong place for a M21--should be underneath the top lever.

The name "Model 21" should appear on at least 2 places, if not three. On the water table, on the barrel and thirdly, on the rib between the bbls (maybe).

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY--the pictures. A quick glance will comfirm that the frame is clearly not that of a Winchester Model 21. It is simply wrong. Screw underneath the top lever is worng. Side screws of wrong sizes and in wrong places. The metal frame extend further rearward from the barrel on the M21 that that in the picture. The list could go on and on but the simple fact is this is not a Winchester M21.

Perhaps others could list their reasons, I'm sure there are more than I've noted.

Sorry, Oldgunner, but you did get some guys hearts beating somewhat rapidly there for a while--as I'm sure yours may have been. An undiscovered Winchester 410 M21 in the worst of shape would have been exciting and would have drawn high dollar interest. With a total known of 48 produced and 43 reviewed and documented in books, it would be a find.

It was fun for a while--now MarlandS, tell Oldgunner what is IS and what it may be worth!!

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Winchester Model 24? Made from 1939 to 1957. $345

1 - 20 of 75 Posts