Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot at a gun club where the general consencis is that if you don't shoot a browning,beretta,or benelli,you are wasting your time,and I want to prove them wrong.while I think the above mentioned guns plus the rem.,winn, and moss. are all very good guns,I am tring to make a point that it has more to do with the man(or woman:ee) aimin'&shootin' the gun than the brand name on the side of it.I want to build a decent trap gun out of a not as popular make (ie;savage,stevens,j.c.higins,high-standard and so on)to prove my point.I have also concidered a EAA-BAIKAL pump,used of corse,but don't know for sure witch one to use,so any info/opions on these gun would be apprecated.I also should mention that I don't shoot copetively,just for waterfaul hunting practice,so it won't see a million rounds a year. thank's RED FRED:hat

·
Registered
541 Posts
I really like your idea and think it is a great way to have fun. I would love to see, and this is me but I am not normal. A single shot break open with a hammer. You know the NEF ones you can buy new for under $100.www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976328094.htmwww.gunsamerica.com/guns/976221233.htmBut as I think you want more of a "normal" gun for lack of a better word (sorry really tired today). You could look at the Savage model 67www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976333218.htmClayco Model 6 12ga O/U (whatever the heck it is)www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976305407.htmSavage model 30www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976328298.htmAll these guns woudl be great for what you are thinking of and the Baikal would be good too in a pump or o/u. The biggest how can I say umm...no no would be to use the single shot NEF hammer shotgun and put a big ol vented poly choke on it. Since this is a trap gun you can get away with a single shot. :D 8o They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey john305,how 'bout my h&r m58topper .410:rollin ,just kidding.right know I have my eye on a used baikal pump ,found one local for $165,witch is a little more than I would like to give,but it has the advantage of screw in chokes plus I think it would drive um nuts knowing a cheap import just wooped there $2000 custom citori:eek ,but havent decided for sure

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got more bargain shotguns than I need but my first is my favorite; an old Winchester 120 Ranger with screw-in chokes that I bought when I took up partridge (grouse) huntin' in college in Vermont. Great gun. Here's a story you'll appreciate..I was home from college fifteen years ago and went up to a local skeet place here in NJ and shot a couple of rounds of trap with the Ranger. As I'm waiting for the puller to re-load the house a green Jaguar pulls up (gold statue on the hood and all) and soon the loudspeaker barks "Hold field 5 for ..." and low and behold out walks "Biff" in his Orvis (aka. Orifice) shooting cap and Knickers...yes ...I said knickers! ...with, of course a multi-thousand dollar shotgun to boot.Long story short, the grubby college kid with the NRA baseball cap (turned backwards for effect at that point)and the $85 used piece-o-crap kicked his [email protected]#...!I shot 22 and he shot a 10. What a putz.While I'm in the market for a "Reasonable", real skeet gun, for the most part, ain't no shotgun nothin' more than a scattergun....any way you want to slice it!BTW... that gun now sports camo tape and is my Skeet gun every September so I get warmed up for waterfowl.Whatever you do GET SCREW-IN CHOKES!! (versatility)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice,but now I am proud to announce that I found my triple b (browning berreta,bennalli)killer,and the kicker of it all,is the fact that I have owned this gun for years,a WESTERNFIELD M550C(for you all that arn't familuar with what I am talking about,it is a mossberg 500 that was made to sell exclusivly at MONTGOMERY WARDS),oh yah,by the way,to add insalt to injury,it is a 20ga.,not a 12 like everyone else there shoots.it is a gun I bought a few years back at a aucction(for $110)when my wife thought she wanted to try deerhunting,but the cold indiana winters changed her mind so it sat in my gun cabinet where it saw no use other than sighting it in.the reason I even put the original bird barrel back on it was that a friend of mine came into a bunch of 20ga.ammo and had no gun to shoot it in,lucky me:p ,well after the first time out,just messing around at the range,I had busted 57 clay birds with 57shells!the next week we put about 300 rounds threw it,and busted about 90% of the blue rocks we shot at.finally I had enough confidence in the gun to take it to the gun club,shot 3 rounds of 25,my score:24for25,23for25and finally25for25.not bad for a old beater 'Wards gun.as for the ranger,duncan,that is what I hunt ducks with(what a coinsadnece)just so you know,they made 2 veriations of that gun,in 20&12ga.,a pump(what I got)and a semi auto.the pump is a 1300,and the auto,is a either a 1400 or a 1500,can't remmeber for sure.these guns where sold thru the SEARS&REOBUCK Co_Only.this knowledge will come in very handy if you ever plan on buying a different barrel or other replacement parts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts