Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question,

Im about to purchase a very nice older remington 1100 mag, so what i want to know is: "Can i safely shoot steel shot through the gun"?

The barrel is a 30" full choke, and the gun itself is from before 1979, because it still has the original large scrollwork.

thanks

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
Either get a "Steel Shot" barrel, or get some steel shot rated tubes installed in that barrel. That's what I did. The rest of the barrel is fine with anything.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Virginian said:
Either get a "Steel Shot" barrel, or get some steel shot rated tubes installed in that barrel. That's what I did. The rest of the barrel is fine with anything.
Pardon my stupidity,

If the barrel can handle steel shot, then why would I need to have the barrel threaded for choke tubes? Is a full choke to tight for steel shot? I know hunters who use full chokes when duck hunting.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
Yes, the fixed full choke is liable to be damaged by shooting steel, original Hevi-Shot,tungsten-iron, and the like. Lots of people do it or say they have done it with no problems. I have seen several barrels with a choke ring bulge.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Virginian said:
Yes, the fixed full choke is liable to be damaged by shooting steel, original Hevi-Shot,tungsten-iron, and the like. Lots of people do it or say they have done it with no problems. I have seen several barrels with a choke ring bulge.
So, if I bought a replacement "screw in" choke "steel shot" rated barrel, could I then use a full choke tube, or will I still face the same issues? If so, is there any way to shoot steel shot through a full choke? thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Sure you can shoot full choke with steel in a barrel choke combo rated for it. It's just steel tends to pattern for crap out of it. That is why many of us tend to use a Modified choke when using steel. The pattern tends to pattern tighter like lead from a full choke. With any shot, the gun, the load and the chokes used do make a difference. There is a bit of science to it. Having a barrel with screw in chokes will definitely help you tailor the gun to the load. Bottom line is though you just can't second guess it. To get the optimum performance your going to have to shot some patterns

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
Despite a lot of advice to the contrary, I find I get the tightest patterns, depending on shot size and material, with either Full or Improved Modified chokes. I have not tried anything smaller than #4 in any of the "more than" full choke tubes, and they did not pattern as tight as a Full, with more unevenness as well. Make sure any tube you use is rated for the shot. As far as I am aware, Remington makes the only flush type "Full" choke tube rated for steel shot.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
Remington plainly declares that all of their shotgun barrels made after 1950 are steel shot compatable. They continue to say that steel shot should never be used in any barrel choked more than modified. Pretty simple. :wink:

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
Gunslinger,

Does your gun have a fixed choke? If it has choke tubes, just buy use a modified tube or less choke. You say that the gun is a 1979 model but it may have a newer barrel with Rem-Chokes. If you shoot steel through a full fixed choke barrel, there will, most likely be pattern problems and, as the shot gets larger, real damage problems.

My best advive is to call Remington and ask them.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I meet a fella in the march today. Same gun 870 wingmaster fixed full choke. back at the trucks tonight we were talking, "I counted seven shots how many birds?" He replied, "just this one". He went on to tell me, "I hit grouse hard with lead, but when I use steel it seems like it doesn't work so well." "Seems like the pattern is higher or something." "Ever pattern test it" I replied? "No" was his answer. Well I suggested him to do so. Maybe try steel alternatives like bismuth in his barrel or maybe invest in a new barrel with chokes. Told him about pattern testing my 10ga and all the info I had discovered testing it along with what was working in my 12ga. Hope I helped. Steel has been mandated for a long time now and people still are unaware as to how it effects them. :|

·
Registered
590 Posts
Remington's web site says you can shoot up to #2 steel through the fixed full choke 1100.
This was also in the paper work I got with the new steel shot rem choke barrel I bought for my 1100 magnum.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I had the opportunity to buy a used 30 inch mag barrel and had it threaded for tru-choke tubes so I would be sure not to damage by 28 inch mag full choke original barrel on my 1100 magnum. Funny thing I found out was the original barrel will function with factory steel shot loads, but the 30 inch will not with some 3 inch factory steel shot loads. I found the port size is the same and the 30 inch barrel will work just find on a standard 1100 so the problem is connected to the magnum heavier action bar. The box on some old steel shot loads suggested that they might not function some 3 inch autoloaders so it is a good idea to test function before going on a hunt. My reloads work in both barrel on the mag action. The latest test where I had function problems was with Remington Hevi-shot or HD, but I don't have the notes in front of me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Remington's web site says you can shoot up to #2 steel through the fixed full choke 1100.
This was also in the paper work I got with the new steel shot rem choke barrel I bought for my 1100 magnum.
So just to be 100% clear, I COULD shoot #'s 2,4,5,6, steel shot through the fixed full choke, and nothing larger than #2?

·
Registered
590 Posts
TX Gunslinger said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
So just to be 100% clear, I COULD shoot #'s 2,4,5,6, steel shot through the fixed full choke, and nothing larger than #2?
That is what Remington says.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.