Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
wb said:
If old paper hulls then do not use them in a autoloader...........EVER! *Always use a break action gun or pump (if your fearless)
wb-
OK, I'm not afraid to show my ignorance. Perhaps you could explain the reason for your warning, or provide a reference for your statement?

Browning A5s were introduced about 1902 and Remington Model 11s about 1905. Plastic shells were not introduced until about 1960. Did paper shells blow up or otherwise harm a lot of Browning A5s, Model 11s, and other early autoloaders (or their operators) during the first 50-60 years of their existence?

Thanks.
--Bob

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Spencer-
Thank you form your response. I can appreciate caution, but the reasons for caution in shotgun shooting are usually based on known possibilities of various things going wrong.

wb implied that firing an old paper shell has some effect that occurs in autoloaders that does not occur in pumps or break-action shotguns. I am having difficulty imagining what that effect might be.

The emphasis of "EVER" indicated this was likely to be either a frequent or an especially bad effect, or perhaps both - like a 20-gauge shell stuck in the forcing cone of a 12 gauge..

If the paper tube separates from the brass head and base wad, it is just as likely to cause a barrel obstruction in a pump or break-action as in an auto. With a break-action, the obstruction is more readily seen, but this is not true in a pump.

A swollen paper shell will jam any shotgun.

I remain mystified by the statement.
--Bob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.