Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it finally happened. After I had all but given up hope of finding a Browning 28" 525 Field grade 6, and for the most part had committed to a Browning GTS High Grade, I lucked out.
I've been looking for the 525 Field grade 6 for about 4-5 months now. It came out in the 2007 SHOT show and was only available in 12 gauge. From the moment I saw it I knew that's what I wanted for my retirement gift. I had seen and used a 525 Field and its fit and feel were perfect for me.
This new gun is to be my main upland field gun for pheasant, replacing my ever faithful Ithaca model 500 that I have used for 35 years. I also want to use it for sporting clays, but primarily it was going to be my "dolled" up 12 gauge field gun (backing up my 20 gauge CG Magnus that I am looking at getting next year - pleeeease dear I swear it will be the last gun I ever buy!).
The problem was that I could only find 2 over the last almost 5 months and those had 26" barrels and were $3400. I didn't want a 26" gun (nothing wrong with the 26", the 28" just feels better to me) and $3400 was more than I wanted to pay for a gun that wasn't exactly what I wanted. The msrp is $3750 so I probably would have paid the $3400 if either had been a 28".
Ultimately I had decided to go with the GTS high grade as I said. What I wasn't happy about on the GTS though was the wide 10mm rib (a feature more in line with the sporting side of this new Browning hybrid field and sporting gun (Game Target Shotgun). I also wasn't sure if I was going to get the ivory bead sight (yes) or the HiViz fiber sight (no). I had seen it advertised with both.
In the back of my mind I was also contemplating the potential of something coming out at the 2008 SHOT show as well. Since the Citori 625 had come out though I was a not that keen on its look and really didn't know what to expect from the show.
A little over a week ago I was on GunsAmerica.com looking through all of their Citori's, and low and behold I see a NIB 28" Citori 525 Field Grade VI in a classified ad for $2850 plus shipping & Ins. ($45). I was very surprised and excited about this discovery.
I had never used GunsAmerica before and I definitely did not know this seller so I knew I would need to do some research and get some questions answered before I would jump into this deal for the money we were talking about. Ultimately I emailed through GunsAmerica questions verifying the exact Browning part #, terms and identification of the seller, and requesting pictures of the gun. The seller was very prompt and turned out to be a known gun retailer in Colorado. He did provide pictures of the gun, business name, FFL #, contact numbers, and also told me that he would accept credit card for the gun - with no surcharge! This was fantastic. Not only could I verify everything about the seller but I also was protected by my credit card for this out of state purchase in case something went south on the deal.
Well all I can say is that everything went extremely quickly and as promised. My new gun arrived at my FFL transfer person yesterday. I saw and held my new "girl" and did the California paper work and will pick her up on 12/29/2007, Merry belated Christmas to me!

I apologize for the long post but this has been a fantastic ending to a fairly long journey for me and I wanted to share it.
I do promise to post several good pictures of the new gun sometime after the first of the year.
One thing about California is I know I will have some good weather very soon that will allow me to get to the field and the range, even though it is December/January.

Merry Christmas to all!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Congrats on the gun along with my sympathies for the stupid waiting period. I guess Ca. had a problem with people rushing to buy $3,000.00 guns so they could rob liquor stores with.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Look at the bright side. You can still buy a Hummer and drive through a liquor store the same day in California. :lol:

Congrats on the new gun. Looks like you'll have a Happy New Year. :H

·
Registered
243 Posts
Congrats on your new Browning. I am looking forward to seeing your pictures once you get them posted as have never seen a 525 field in grade 6. Have seen a lot of the GoldenClay versions of the SC's but not a higher grade 525 field. Does your gun have the blued or the grey receiver?

I have a grade 6 Citori Lightning field that is 28 inch and will try to post picture of it here. Hopefully it will work.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
What does "field" mean? Is it different than "sporting"?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gregg535 said:
Congrats on your new Browning. I am looking forward to seeing your pictures once you get them posted as have never seen a 525 field in grade 6. Have seen a lot of the GoldenClay versions of the SC's but not a higher grade 525 field. Does your gun have the blued or the grey receiver?

I have a grade 6 Citori Lightning field that is 28 inch and will try to post picture of it here. Hopefully it will work.
Gregg535
The 525 Field grade 6 has a silver nitride receiver. It is like the basic 525 Field except it has all of the grade VI engraving with gold inlays of pheasant and ducks.
The stock is a grade V/VI black walnut, though most I have seen are quite dark and look similar to Turkish walnut. It also has an oil finish as opposed to the gloss finish as on your Lightning.

ysr_racer said:
What does "field" mean? Is it different than "sporting"?
ysr_racer

The field designation simply means that the gun is designed primarily as a hunting gun. What this really means is that it has a 3" chamber as opposed to a 2 3/4" chamber as on most, if not all, SC models. The barrels are not ported where as most Browning SC models have ported barrels. It also has an ivory front sight bead as opposed to the Hi Viz fiber you will find on most SC guns, and the 525 Field's rib is 1/4" as opposed to an SC's typically 10mm or even larger rib.

The link below will take you to the Browning site and to a picture of a 525 Field Grade VI that is very close to what mine looks like.
As I have said Browning has appeared to darken many of these 525 Field stocks to where they almost look like Turkish walnut, BUT I have seen some that are lighter as well.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... ype_id=376

·
Registered
515 Posts
Awesome gun! A dealer up here got 1 in and I missed out on it. I was able to get a 525 Grade III though. Also a beautiful gun (but without the nicer gold birds). My dealer claims Browning Canada only imported 1 525 Grade III in 2007, the only year they were made (he said Browning didn't think they would sell well here in Canada, hence the single order). So as far as I know, I have a 1 of 1 525 Grade III in Canada! But I still would've liked that Grade VI!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts

[/quote]

Gregg535
I have a very similar Citori Lighting only difference mine is a 20 gauge grade 7
I wounder what the difference between grade 6 and 7 is

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
achiles said:
I have a very similar Citori Lighting only difference mine is a 20 gauge grade 7
I wounder what the difference between grade 6 and 7 is
Found this on Browning's Website...

The Grade IV features high-relief engraving on grayed receiver. 12ga. models illustrate pheasants on the left side and mallards on the right.

The Grade VII features deep-relief engraving on grayed or blued receiver with 24 karat gold inlays of pointers and mallards.

Only difference between a VI and a VII would probably be better wood grain.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Musket36: Congratulations!! I have the exact gun you ordered. It's a real beauty. I got it about 3 months ago. I particularly like the grain and color variations in the wood. In my opinion, you got a very good buy. By the way, in addition to the gold inlaid ducks and pheasants mentioned by Bobshouse, it also has a quail on the trigger guard. Again, congratulations.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know how you feel. I am in my 10 day wait on a Browning 525 Sporting. Cant pick mine up unil 2Jan08. Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
243 Posts
achiles,

I don't think that there has been much changes in the looks of them over the years, as far as the higher grade Citori Lightnings. There used to be the grade 5 for quite a few years, and then the 6, and now a 7. I think that each of those three grades of Lightnings have always been available in both the blued version and the gray. And of course they would have went through the changes from fixed chokes -- to Invectors--- and then InvectorPlus tubes with the increased bore diameter.

As for the 12 and 20's, the differences there have been in what birds have been depicted and also that the 12's come with a recoil pad. My gun is the blued version 12 gauge and has 3 ducks on the right side, 2 pheasants on the left, a dog on the bottom and a quail on the trigger guard.

Yours is a nice looking gun. Does it have some belt sander damage there on the but pad end or is there a flaw in the picture? I have seen similar looking damage from finishing off recoil pads with the stock still attached.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Gregg535 it is a flaw in the picture but I hope it doesn't materialize cause soon I will be putting a proper recoil pad on it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts