Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Clay Shooting. I shoot with one eye closed because if I try to use both eyes, I get double vision. I have been told that if I try to shoot with both eyes open, I could lead the targets better. Any thoughts or suggestions out there?

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Two eyes is better, if your vision allows it.

Don't let anybody convince you that everyone does better using both eyes, and that anyone can learn to shoot with both eyes open if you try hard enough. Most people can, but not everyone.

Eye dominance is a far more complicated subject than most people think.

That said, I will add that you probably can learn to shoot with both eyes open, and if you can you will do better that way.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you how to do it. I've tried for years, with the help of a couple of instructors, and I still can't do it. However, one-eyed shooting has been good enough to get me into NSCA Master class, so it is not as bad as some would have you believe.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
If you're getting "double vision" as you stated, the odds are you're focusing on the bead..... forget it's there, and focus on the target.

First, however, check your eye dominance. If you're not sure how, use the search function in this forum, and you'll have six months' worth of reading on eye dominance.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
wwb said:
If you're getting "double vision" as you stated, the odds are you're focusing on the bead.....
That might be correct. It depends on what he meant by "I get double vision". Those of us who have no dominant eye or incomplete dominance (and there are a lot of us) see two equally-strong images of the barrel when we try to use both eyes, focussing on the target rather than the barrel. I simply cannot ignore one of the barrels and judge lead by the other.

Carlsal, the advice from wwb is right on. Focus on the target, not the bead. And use one of the simple self-tests to figure out which eye is dominant. Unfortunately, those tests do not reveal incomplete dominance nor shifting dominance. But most people don't have one of those conditions, so maybe you won't.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
As wwb stated, forget the gun/bead/rib, focus on the target. And, check for eye dominance, really need to know that (for sure) before going any further.

·
Premium Member
19,997 Posts
Two eyed shooting doesn't work well for me either, except perhaps on the real close crossers or quartering targets. On those, I can sort of point the gun in the general direction with both eyes open and hit the target most of the time. Even on some of the short range targets, I find it necessary to close one eye in order to be consistent.

On longer shots (30+ yards), I find it necessary to close one eye in order to see the barrel/target relationship. I have tried to just "point shoot" some longer targets and it just doesn't work for me. It makes me careless about my shooting accuracy and results in a lot more misses.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Carlsal;
Seeing two barrels is normal when you focus on the target. I am strongly right eye dominant and the left barrel or pointed finger is much clearer. I find it easy to ignore the right image. If your gun fits you, you will be on.

Do you close one eye when you drive a car? Do you close one eye to catch a baseball or when you are at bat? Nobody does because we see better with both eyes open.

Check your eye dominance and shoot from that shoulder and just ignore the false image. If I close an eye, I have looked at the bead and that will be a miss for sure.

What happened to Mr. Ben? Who is this Seamus guy?? :lol: Jim, I sure hope that you will be at the US Open at Claythorne. I want to meet you and buy you a beer.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
astomb said:
What happened to Mr. Ben? Who is this Seamus guy?? :lol: Jim, I sure hope that you will be at the US Open at Claythorne. I want to meet you and buy you a beer.
MrBen got lost in cyberspace, and the only way I could get back on this forum was to create a new e-mail address and log in under a new name.

Thanks for the invitation, Spenser, but I won't be at the Open. Maybe we can meet (at last!) at the National FITASC Championship at Hunter's Pointe. I'll buy you a

and you can buy me a

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
Seamus O'Caiside said:
use one of the simple self-tests to figure out which eye is dominant. Unfortunately, those tests do not reveal incomplete dominance nor shifting dominance. But most people don't have one of those conditions, so maybe you won't.
I do suffer from that condition. All the standard tests tell me I am right eye dominant (I am right handed, BTW). But as soon as I put a rifle or shotgun to my shoulder, my left eye fights my right for focus.

I fix the problem by affixing a short strip of translucent tape to my left eyeglass lens just in front of the eye. I still enjoy periferal vision and depth perception, but my left eye is unable to focus on the barrel or the side of the gun when mounted.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
I was a 1 eyed shooter for over 30 years and just recently started shooting with both eyes to improve the consistancy of my skeet scores. It did considerably, but my eye dominance would occasionally switch at high 1 and low 8. I found I could prevent it by shouldering the gun, closing the left eye monentarily and opening before calling for the target. Not the best solution, because I sometimes forget, but it works until I figure something else out. Tried the patch on the glasses and couldn't get used to it.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
If Mr. Ben got lost in cyberspace, how long do we have to wait to have him declared legally dead ?

Not that I wish him any ill fortune, you understand.... I'm just looking forward to the wake.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I fix the problem by affixing a short strip of translucent tape to my left eyeglass lens just in front of the eye. I still enjoy periferal vision and depth perception, but my left eye is unable to focus on the barrel or the side of the gun when mounted.

This is a common practice,, I know many who do it and it seems to work for them. I think it's going to be an issue of getting used to it - can't see anybody being comfortable right off tha bat.

Right now I use the method DEG explained...I set myself up with one eye, then open the other before I call the target. I don't feel comfortable shooting one-eyed. I plan on trying the tape method to see if it can speed up my setup time, or if it has an adverse effect on my scores. I've only been doing this regulary for a few months now, so hopefully I'm new enough to this that making these changes won't mess anything up too bad for too long.

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
xl1200r said:
This is a common practice,, I know many who do it and it seems to work for them. I think it's going to be an issue of getting used to it - can't see anybody being comfortable right off tha bat.
I got used to it almost immediately.

·
Banned
795 Posts
Shoot with two eyes open , and look at the target , I have cross eye dominence and it dont make any differance if you focus on the target with both eyes open , dont do the tape over your glass lenses its only holding you back .

Done that , you must move on from that to hit targets well without the worry of tape , fibre optic **** .

Focus SGW :shock:

For the new shooter that just try one eye open cause they do .

DONT dO it :twisted:

·
Premium Member
19,997 Posts
United Shot said:
Shoot with two eyes open , and look at the target , I have cross eye dominence and it dont make any differance if you focus on the target with both eyes open , dont do the tape over your glass lenses its only holding you back .
You don't seem to be getting the picture there, United Shot. With tape on the left lense (for right handed shooters), the shooter still sees the target with BOTH eyes. The tape simply blocks the view of the muzzle end of the gun with his LEFT eye. This way, the shooter sees the target with BOTH eyes but sees the muzzle (bead) with only the RIGHT eye. This prevents "cross sighting" on the target.

·
Banned
795 Posts
Thanks for the input Ulysses

hope you get your point across

Dont forget I live it , with the same input from you with no problem , trying to tell others , it dont make any differance

I see straight down the left hand side of my O/U if look at my gun , I close my left eye I see 100% gun fit .

So look and shoot at the target forget gun :!: :!: :!:

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
United Shot said:
I see straight down the left hand side of my O/U if look at my gun , I close my left eye I see 100% gun fit .

So look and shoot at the target forget gun :!: :!: :!:
UNITED, Excellent point ! I also get cross dominance, I also see down the side of the o/u if I look at the gun. Alo when I close my left eye I see 100% gunfit. The key word here is "Look at the GUN" there are far too many people that think they have an eye problem. The real problem is looking at the gun not the clay.

Bryan

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I am centrally dominant in that no matter which shoulder I mount the gun from, the other eye takes over. I find that when I am shooting mounted gun games (trap, skeet) I do my best by far by closing one eye completely. However, shooting low gun Sporting Clays, 5-Stand, hunting, etc. I do far better with two eyes open. I do not use any tape or any other vision occluder. I just shoot cross dominant. I have no idea what I am seeing as far as the gun goes though, as long as I took at the target there's no problem.

·
Registered
198 Posts
two will work better, u wont loose depth perception. when starting out it is eaiser to use one eye untill u get the feel for ur gun, then try to open both eyes, (make sure ur using ur dominent eye)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have serious vision defincies in my left eye. I try to use both eyes so I kind of squint my left without completely closing it so that the double-vision affect is lessened greatly.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts