Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot right handed. My right eye is dominant. So, I should shoot with both eyes open. But I don't. I spot the target and start my swing with both eyes open. Then, I close my left eye.

I am 32yrs old. I have been a dove hunter since I was a kid, and an occassional skeet shooter for a few years. I have always shot this way. When I leave it open I lack confidence, and miss targets. It doesn't take long for the instinct to close it to take over.

Early this year I started shooting SC. I try to get on a course about once a month. I generaly break mid 70's - low 80's, (personal best - 89; it was an easy course, close targets) and I am still improving. That brings us to my question.

Should I force myself to leave both eyes open? I know my scores will drop. But will they ultimately improve?

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
I'd hate to tell you they would improve and they didn't after a few months, and only shooting once a month isn't enough to train yourself unless you come up with an exercise in-house.

Maybe if you have a specific target that gives you fits, we might give you an idea on how to overcome it shooting as you are.

I'm the opposite, but I've shot with both eyes open (even rifle) all my life, it would cost me dearly to do otherwise. But it can be done, there are alot of excellent shots that only have one eye.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After the first of the year, I'm going to try to shoot weekly in my club shoots. They have each event once a month and alternate weekly. 5-stand, SC, skeet, and trap.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
I do it exactly as you do. I refer to it by Bruce Buck's expression, "winking".

I have tried, with the help of good instructors, to shoot with both eyes open, but I can't. I'm sure it is an eye dominance thing with me - I'm right eye dominant by all the tests, but I have incomplete dominance - my right eye doesn't really take command over the left. I can't even shoot a scoped rifle with both eyes open - the 2 separate and equal images interfere with each other.

You may be able to learn how to shoot with both eyes. It may be easy for you, or it may not - only experience will tell.

Wiil you shoot better with 2 eyes? Maybe, maybe not. Turning that question around, does winking hurt your shooting? I don't think it hurts mine. I pick up the target with both eyes open, and I often see the target clearly and easily when my 2-eyed friends are complaining about it being hard to see. I'm in NSCA Master class, and my 2 best SC scores are 98 and 96 (very soft course) so I clearly am not struggling with vision problems.

All I can say is, if you want to try it, give it a go. Just don't pay any attention to the people who will tell you in definite terms that you can learn to shoot with both eyes open and you will shoot better that way. It ain't necessarily so.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Huck:
I think you should have your eyes checked and try keeping to keep the off eye open if you have strong dominance.

I would also suggest that you take a lesson. Burleson? is that in Johnson County, Texas? I get it mixed up Burleson County is closer to Houston.

If you are in Johnson County, you are in luck. Lonnie Mears is a superb instructor and can help you shoot better. he is an NSCA Level II.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
astomb:
Yes, I am in Johnson County.

Thank You for your advise, I think it's an excellent idea. I am familiar with Lonnie and his son Travis. We are all members of the same club. I have only spoke with Lonnie a couple times, but he seems like a heck of a good guy. We have a mutual friend, so I know how to contact him.

ThanX again,
Russell

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm a strong believer in keeping both eyes open. No matter what eye is dominant there should be no double vision. Your focal point is the target not the barrel. The barrel should only be seen in your periphial vision. By closing one eye you cannot judge depth perception and you are probably seeing the barrel way more than you should. Would you close one eye to throw a football? No, you keep both eyes open and your body automatically calculates distance and lead in order to hit the reciever. Same with shooting sc. Like anything, this will take some time getting use to but in the long run you will be much better off (especially when your eye sight goes to hell). Don't get me wrong, I don't want to discredit anything that works for you because that is really all that matters. Have fun with it.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
try the Magic Dot(or an equivalent)....it blocks(in your case) the left eye seeing the barrel when the head is fully down on the comb.

It worked for me.Winking is tiring over a long shoot and I have done well ever since I tried the Dot.

·
Premium Member
20,270 Posts
JerryQuill said:
Continue to do what your doing. It'll work fine. Go to WWW.itishooting.com and look for the article called "One-eyed Jacks", that'll give some good answers.

Jerry
Hmmmm, the author of that article was named "Jerry" and your name is "Jerry". :idea: I wonder?????? Nah, probably just a coincidence. :wink: :D

BTW, I'm a "winker" too. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.