Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a shotgun with interchangeable barrels to be used for both home defense and trap shooting. Would prefer a police/tactical 870 or mossy with an 8rd mag.

Is this possible or a real pain in the a**?

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
If you are at all serious about shooting trap, buy an 870 Trap and a spare short bbl for it. The configuration you favor would not make a very good trap gun, wheras the trap gun serves both purposes well and the trap stock works better with rifle sights commonly found on a slug bbl than a field stock would.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Plus: it's against the rules to load more than two shells at a trap range and I think if you think you need an 8 rd mag for home defense I hope you are planning defending a helluva mansion. Get my drift? I can't imagine needing more than 2 shells for one intruder and let's be honest here: unless you're being assaulted by pros, once you fire the first shot or two, they're going out the door anyways. Maybe one or two more, but an 870 does have 4 shot capacity with 2-3/4 shells. So, I agree with SS. 870 trap with a spare short barrel will likely fill your bill. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I'd buy a 870 Express combo. Shot barrel and a slug barrel. Who needs tactical? Rack the slide of even a Wingmaster and a perp would be heading for the door in a flash. Tactical :roll:

^^^ 5 rounds with an 870 MRPOWER^^^

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Chris,

The problem with that from a practical point of view is that he will hopefully never have use for a HD gun and will do all of his shooting at targets. Therefore the main setup of a trap gun makes more sense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts