Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...question first...I have a 1928 Model 12 16 gauge and I bought another barrel for it. The barrel is a "proof steel" 1940 barrel, and I don't know if it will work for my "nickel steel" gun. It doesn't look like there's any difference, but the eye's can deceive you sometimes. I don't have anything to measure what type of threads on the 1940's, and I can't compare it to the original because it seems like it's impossibe to get the adjusting screw (I guess this is what it's called) out of the back of the original barrel. I was using the right screw and was really careful to not break it...but guess what happened...one side of it broke off and now I think I'm screwed...no pun intended :)

So here's the question, I was wondering what you guys think would be the best way to get this thing out. I was thinking about drilling it out, but you guys might know a trick or two about taking these little buggers out, I know someone's done it before.

I was thinking about putting this barrel on this assembly until I get another slide and mag and what-not because this other barrel has an old polychoke on it and I can use it for alot more hunting than I can with just the full choke of the original. Bird huntings hard with a full choke! Lol.

Matt

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
m/gold20 -- when you're working on an old M12 that's from 1928, and a screw is a tad hard to break loose; be patient and don't try horsing it out. Try to get some pentrating oil in there and after soaking for a bit - hold a brass drift on the screw head and tap the drift with a hammer. This will help to break the threads loose. Just a brisk little tap or two or three, but don't go wailing on it.

Then position the barrel so you can bare down on the screw driver by pulling down hard on it and try slowly turning it. Don't force it as you can break a side off the screw head. Sometimes you'll have to tap the screw head a few more times, but apply heavy downward pressure on the screwdriver as you try to turn it. Another important thing is to have a correct screwdriver, one that has a hollow ground contour to the flat blade and is the correct size for the screw head. The blade can't be too wide for the slot or it can bust off one side of the screw head.

For your predicament with the one side missing screw head. Follow what I suggested and try to find a screwdriver with a hardened blade, one that is small enough to fit into the slot and attempt hitting the top with a hammer to try and create a slot for it to get a grip. If this doesn't work, find a professional who can remove the screw for you rather than attempting to drill it out yourself.

Regards:
Rod

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply wraco. It broke off down below the middle of the screwhead. I'm probably going to have to take it to a pro, because I don't think there's any other way, unless taking the other side down and trying one of those new "grabits" from Craftsman, do you think this will work?

Matt

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Hi Matt: The only way you are going to get the screw out now is to "burn" it out. You will have to find a machine shop that has an EDM machine. Drilling will be useless, the screw is heat tread the receiver extention isn't, any "twist bit" walk will most likely result in a damage receiver extention.

there are no guarantees with EDM either since it may go over size and I don't believe you will find an insert that size for that screw size.

The cost wont be cheap either. right now you will most likely find a receiver extention for a small gauge, have it polished, reblued and serialized to match the receiver, than what it's going to cost you to try and save what you have.

Regards Dave

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply OW. Can I still get the receiver extension off the barrel without taking out this screw? I was thinking about getting a couple of those rubber jar openers and putting one on the extension and another on the barrel. I'm afraid of usig Vice grips or anything like that, I'm gonna try to keep from marring the barrel any.

The gun is still shootable. The screwhead is broke, and I don't think there's any chance of it comming out while shooting. Lol, I think this things welded in there!

Do you happen to know any tricks on how to get the receiver extension off?

Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.