Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great day to be alive all. Out in the remnants of tropical storm grace this morning and got 9 birds in about 1.5 hours. Saw lots, shot ok (27 shells), one double. The rest of my group shot a lot but didn't hit many birds. 9 hunters, 27 birds total. They are on the skewers now and ready for cooking. We'll be going back out this afternoon and I'll get the rest of my limit before the others are done cooking.

Nothing like a light rain and the smell of gunpowder to get the season off right.

·
2,390 Posts
It pretty much sucked here. Rained like a cow pissin' on a flat rock! Geese didn't fly at all. During one short break in the rain we had a big bunch of Teal that swung the goose decoys about 6 times, aparently they were trying to get in the blind with us. But, we can't shoot them for another week. If the rain quits, we'll try the doves this afternoon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
:p I went out this morning for doves. Great shooting! Went through a box of shells in a few minutes. Accounted for 4 birds. Hey, I'm the world's worst shotgun shot and I'll amdmit it. Second box of shells more productive. Limited at 15 birds with 13 brought to bag. Couldn't find 2 I downed but counted them in my bag. I'll be out again tomorrow.

This is my first year out after doves in a seroius way. I live right in the middle of some of the best dove country in the US. Hunting along a creek, I had hundreds fly by. Now I'm hooked. Now I have an excuse for a new Ruger 20.

Do I need an excuse?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I shot my 15 bird limit in about 2 hours the little lady got 4 all recovered breasted and in the fridge awaiting the grill.It rained all morning between heavy to drizzle.I used my 28 gauge with the new Win AAHS Sporting Clay load of 3/4 ounce # 7 1/2 shot @ 1300fps great load. Didn't trust my reloads to the heavy rain.I'm out again tomorrow with the Mojo Dove and decoys.Lots of birds this year!!
Mike

·
Registered
549 Posts
RogerK said:
:p I went out this morning for doves. Great shooting! Went through a box of shells in a few minutes. Accounted for 4 birds. Hey, I'm the world's worst shotgun shot and I'll amdmit it. Second box of shells more productive. Limited at 15 birds with 13 brought to bag. Couldn't find 2 I downed but counted them in my bag. I'll be out again tomorrow.

This is my first year out after doves in a seroius way. I live right in the middle of some of the best dove country in the US. Hunting along a creek, I had hundreds fly by. Now I'm hooked. Now I have an excuse for a new Ruger 20.

Do I need an excuse?
Not unless you're married !!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
We found ducks,we found carp,and we finally found the dove.None of the four of us got close to limiting out.The dove started fly in around 9:30, we didn'y get there until 10:30.We all got plenty of shots off.Had a great time.Dove 125 hunters 25.We'll get them next saturday.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
finished out my 12 bird limit after Dunch (early dinner). Quit raining which was a bonus but didn't see as many birds. Took 2 hours to get 3 birds with some spectacularly bad shooting. To my defense the wind picked up as did speed and altitude of birds.

Anyone get a banded bird. 25 states have banded birds, if you get one please do not forget to call it in.

I've got a 9:00am sales meeting, but I think I may try to sneak in a morning hunt.

Another hunting season begins and all is well with the world.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Had 4 guys in a truck looking for the mighty dove. Now a few points to consider:
1) This is the first year for dove hunting in WI since I've been hunting
2) I'm mainly an upland bird hunter
3) The other three are mainly duck hunters
So we started out in the morning and headed to some prime duck fields. We figured if the ducks liked it after a long flight the doves would too. WRONG! Skunked on the first three stops. Had to make a quick stop at an uncles house for another gun. My buddies Gold Hunter busted a firing pin when he was shooting for a red squirrel. Ok enough of this duck stuff, time to hit the berry patches where I pheasant hunt. We walk one of my best pheasant fields and get skunked again. While we where talking about how we didn't know crap about dove hunting my brother-in-law calls to see where we are. He tells me he is in Rick's field and he has 7 birds. Now the thing is Rick's field is a 10 acre wheat field that was just cut and fertilized AND it is just 1/8 a mile from my house on my road! We drove 30 min away to find the ******* dove and didn't see a one. So time to load up and head to Rick's place. We got to Rick's and saw our first bird of the day at 2:00pm. By the end of it all we had 6 mighty hunters, 37 doves and a great afternoon of hunting. Oh and a nice drive in the AM.

·
Premium Member
19,756 Posts
Gordonsetter,

You need to be careful about hunting in freshly cut fields. There are some pretty strict rules prohibiting hunting over "baited" areas. Read the rules very carefully about what constitutes a "baited" area. My understanding is that it is permissible to "harvest" grain from a field just prior to hunting there, but to cut the grain and let it lay just to attract the doves is considered "baiting". Further, a baited field is considered as still baited up to 10 days after the bait is removed! I could be wrong on my interpretation of "baiting", so don't rely on what I said. Check it out with the game officials in your area.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Phoenix, AZ

I was in the field at 5:30am (would have been there at 5:00am but my brother forgot his Hunting liscense) Anyone else suffer due to forgetfullness?

This was the first time hunting with my new Lanber 2087. Great Gun! Got my 10 bird limit in about 3 hours and 35 shells.

The birds were sporadic and it didn't take them long to switch to star wars mode (you know, when they weave in and out of the brush at really low levels at very high speed)

Had the police come and inform us that the spot we have been hunting for years has been annexed and we would now need to travel 10 miles further to hunt ... If I have to drive much further to hunt I'll need to buy a California liscense.

I hunted this morning as well 7 birds in 2.5 hours and 35 shells ... I had to walk alot ... needed more hunters in the field stirring the birds up.

Overall great time .. ill be out again on thursday ... good luck everyone.

·
Registered
184 Posts
NOTE*** I have this answer from another opening day topic on this discussion board.

Got 7. I brought along a 14 yr. old boy on his first dove hunt and he got 4.
I would have got my limit, but I have one hell of an excuse.
There were several of us (8 people including a 7 year old girl as bird dog) that were on BLM land. There were dwellings about 400 yards from us in the northeast, southwest, and northern directions. We were doing our thang, and low and behold. A lil' truck comes scrambling out from one of the house's. He was haulin' down the dirt road and he hit his brakes for the first hunter. Slidin' to a stop, tons of dust about, he starts cussing out our friend about our early morn hunt and how they are his birds that he feeds. Next thing we know, he's rippin' up the dirt road throwing rocks everywhere. He spins his truck around in a 180 and heads back from where he came from. there were 2 4x4 quads off to the left of his truck so he plows into one of them, which slids it a good 10 feet. In the process, he hits a hunter with his vehicle. By this time, the hunter has already loaded 2 shells of 12 GA. buckshot and fired them into the tailgate and rear window of the truck as he was making his escape. I managed to call 911 on my cel and I had to go to a corner street/road so I could tell the sheriff's dispatch of our locale. I viewed all this from about 125 feet away. The good part was the gentleman who got hit was only slightly hurt. One of the bad part's is a 7 year old girl was a witness along with the 14 yr. old kid that I brought. I can only hope their memory of this will prepare them for what the worst in human nature can conjure up, and they will learn how to handle future engagements from these a**hole greenies without confrontation.
I do have to say this.... If I were in that guys shoes (the one who got hit...) Somebody would have been in the morturary, and it wouldn't have been me. I am not a violent person, but this is outrageous.
Thanks for letting me vent...

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cordite,
Unbelievable what some people will do. If you want to vent some more why don't you write a 1000 word story or less and send it to American Hunter (NRA Hunting Magazine). Lesson for all of us to be prepared for the uninformed at any moment.
Try to stay calm and diffuse any agressive behavior.

Hope everyone is alright and I'm sure you and the other father with the little girl will talk about this with the kids when they are ready to talk about it.

Hope the rest of your season goes well. If not, move to TEXAS.

·
Registered
184 Posts
jlptexashunter, That is an excellent idea ! on the essay that is.
When it comes out in the paper (probably tomorrow), I'll see if i can scan it on here or something.
BTW--- I am Georgia born and bred, so I drive thru Texas to go see dear old mom. I have always felt at home and have been welcomed sooooooo much. Its always a pleasure going thru. If I moved back toward the east coast. Texas would be it.... :D

·
Registered
985 Posts
Ulysses,
I used the wrong word, the field was harvested, but that dosen't matter. If the field was full of grain or any other crop as a part of normal agricultural activities it is not bait under federal or WI state law. So even if it had been just cut and left to lay for a day because the harvester was broke or whatever, that would still be OK.
Thanks for looking out for me, I (like I hope other do) always try to know every law for every type of hunt I go on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts