Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few photos from my opening weekend hunt with some clients from Fort Worth. Tell me they didn't come in style! We took about 115 Blues in two days of total hunting time. About 5 hrs on Friday, 8 on Saturday, and 2 on Sunday.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You've got to get away from the oil fields. As busy as it is out there everyone and their neighbors dog knows about them and go there. You can probably tell by the pics that that is not where I was.

·
Registered
530 Posts
my friend and i took our sons on their first quail hunt in roosevelt county. found a few coveys but the birds flushed too soon to get a decent shot. my gun misfired on my two best opportunities. it fired just fine on the next shot which was at an old bucket. i switched to my single shot and the birds became bullet proof. one bird was fired at 4 times by 3 different people and never even lost a feather. the only thing that died that day was a rattlesnake that i nearly stepped on. a reminder to be careful on warm days. the events so traumitized me that i was forced to go out and purchase an old but well-maintained ithaca lefever side by side. can't wait to go out again. i can already smell the quail and pheasant cooking on the grill.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took my son on his first hunt Saturday. He is only 4 so it was too cold for him so we spent most of the time in the truck, but he loved it anyway. He was blowing on my quail call the whole time saying "did you hear 'em dad? We're getting close"! I only bagged three birds, but it was the best hunt that I can remember.

I have never hunted in Roosevelt, but I think there are probably more pheasant than where I hunt. We have very good Blue numbers though. Too bad the NM pheasant season is only one weekend. :? Did you see any Bob's over there? I know there used to be some, as there were around here, but I think they are pretty scarce now.

Gotta watch out for those snakes. Shouldn't be a problem after the weather we had the last few days though. We saw three on our annual day-after-Thanksgiving hunt two years ago.

Good luck with the new sxs. What was it that mis-fired?

Welcome to SGW and shoot me a PM if you ever get over to Eddy County and want to go after some fast runnin' Blues.

·
Registered
530 Posts
we mostly have blues but there are a few bobs. pheasant numbers are pretty low. the closer you get to texas the more you will see. the arch community always has a pheasant hunt and there is one or two in curry county but i have never been to any of them. just started bird hunting about 4 years ago and really enjoy it. can't say that i have put much of a dent in the bird population but sure like trying. the best hunt i had was 3 years ago. killed 4 quail and 1 pheasant that must have been lost.(yes it was during pheasant season). that same day my cousin killed 15 quail. i don't think he missed all day. the gun that misfired was a western field pump 20 with a poly choke. can't wait to try the side by side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.