Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I know I'm an idiot, I shot steel shot through an older Marlin 10 gauge super goose. It's a neat gun and I know nothing about water fowling so I have had limited exposure to steel shot and did not know about the potential damage it can cause. Of course the only 10 ga shells I could find were steel. Shot it about 3-5 times. Of course I was, after shooting it, educated about my stupidity. Took a look inside the barrel and didn't see much damage, however see a small divot at the end of the barrel, which makes sense because of its fixed choke. Questions are:

Is this damage at all dangerous?

Does it affect the patterning?

Since it's a bolt action howitzer that I won't shoot very often except for fun and goose hunting, do I mess with it?

What could be done to fix it?

Shooting expensive bismuth through it from now on

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
You are doing the right thing to limit your ammo to Bismuth or lead. You may be able to get other options soon.

Many, if not most, of the old 36" barreled Marlins that I see these days have badly scoured barrels from steel shot. However, you have a good chance that you have not done much damage. You might want to have your gunsmith take a look and a measurement of the choke.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response,

Yeah i think there isn't much damage but I will have my gunsmith look at it.

You say there will be other options to shoot through it soon. What are you referring to?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Not sure what the future options would be but my guess it that with the small number of rounds fired through the gun the damage should be minimal. I would still make sure to have a gunsmith take a look at it though.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
The folks tha make Hevishot are comming out with a product that is called Hevi-Classic or something like that. It is designed for older guns and is a bismuth/steel mix. randy wakeman is going to test it soon. Alot of us that shoot older guns are interested in these results.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will be interested to see how all that turns out. That bismuth shot is so expensive I'm going to need to give blood to afford it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts