Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Welcome to SGW. I like them in the deep fryer! Hand rub some seasonings on the outside and pour some into the cavity. Cook it for about 1/2 minute less per pound than you would a store turkey.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
deep frying a turkey is great cuz it gets done in less than half the time as baking it but u gotta be careful of the oil cuz fires are very common with them deep fryers so for Gods sake do it outside

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
nwok said:
Sorry, but i'm kinda confused on the cooking time thing.[/img]
When deep frying a turkey, I have found that frying it 3 minutes for each pound it weighs. 15 pound bird is fried for 45 minutes.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
deep frying a turkey is great cuz it gets done in less than half the time as baking it but u gotta be careful of the oil cuz fires are very common with them deep fryers so for Gods sake do it outside
Excllent advise from Maser!

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
I have a turkey fryer and it is a pain in the a$$. Mostly because if I fry a turkey, I'm the one doing the cooking, not the wife!!! That said, I actually prefer fried turkey. My son-in-law is from England, and whenever he and my daughter visit from London (like right now) he asks if we could PLEASE fry a turkey. Yes, the Englishman and I fried on up this past Sunday and he has been eating leftovers ever since!

Maser is correct about the oil, but if you pay attention to the temperature and use a good (peanut) oil, you will be fine.

Frank

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
I think it is around $25.00 for 3 gallons, but can be reused two or three times.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
remember to only use peanut oil cuz it gives the best flavor

·
Registered
512 Posts
I debone them then roast them. I've never had one take over 1 1/2 hours to cook that way. You can get two or three in the oven at the same time this way. I usually debone them the night before and roast the bones then make stock. The wife and kid pick the bones and make turkey enchiladas with the meat. This way the turkey is oven ready the next day.

Chef.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gentlemen,
Definitely you should cook it under-ground. First, you get case of beer, then dig pit(good for kids to do), put in metal casing, then you get some real HARD wood (ironwood, illegal to get in Ca), start big fire, add more wood for a couple hrs., wrap turkey in soaked cloth diapers (honey mustard or bbq sauce is my favorite), put turkey on aluminum roasting pan, put in pit, cover pit with lid, then cover pit with dirt, leave in for around 10-12 hrs. Uncover, let set for 20-30 min. Guarantee it will be the best turkey you have ever had. Although I agree that frying is good and alot less time consuming, if you have the time to try ths, I strongly reccommend this method. If you think you might give this a try, email me at [email protected] and I will elaborate more in depth on this method.

Bob Shorter

·
Registered
482 Posts
2lbs melted butter, 8oz lime juice, 4oz garlic juice. Mix it up & inject into the bird. Don't poke a lot of holes in it, inject one area by moving needle under the skin. Put it in the fridge over night & then bake it. Unbelievablely tender & juicy. Enjoy.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts