Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted opinions on Winchester super speed Xtra 12 2/34 1350 fps 1 oz 8 shot shells from walmart?

I bought a few boxes of it for target shooting for my 870 what do you think?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
What kind of practicing you planning on doing?

I hope that a little recoil does not bother you. For most clay games all you need is 1 oz of #8 shot at 1200 f/s ie 2 3/4 Dram Equivalent.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
If they were under $3.00 per box it was a good price and the shells will break any clay target you can swing on and stay a head of.

Some have reported problems with them ejecting but in Remington, Winchester, Browning and Yildiz I've had no problems--they are on sale here for $2.86 a box and have been as low as $1.97 per box on pre-inventory clearance.

Hulls are best left on the range.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I'd save 'em for dove season.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Can't tell any difference in target breaks with them and other promos, I've seen them as cheap as $17.76 a flat here, late January, hope they do it again and I have enough cash to buy them out.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
I just finished 5 flats of these shells, and promised myself, no more. In a 391, I had several failure to feeds. Upon inspection of the shells, the crimps were poorly made, and the edge of the shell would hang up. They probably would work fine in an O/U if you could push them into the chamber. I think the Remington Gun Clubs and Game Loads are a much better shell for all types of guns.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got done shooting three boxes of these shells. I hope this SH isnt defective.

Ok heres what I encountered please give opinions...

I would shoot a shell and it seemed to jam when I tried to cock it back, I would press the release button but the button was tucked into the gun so I didnt have much to press on to release it. So How I finaly got the shell out I would fiddle with the pump back and forth then it finaly would eject.

I bought this SG yesterday, It was a repaired SH that had problems ejecting shells. They did say it was repaired Im just wondering if it repaired and its just the shells I used today that was having problems.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
What is an SH? I can kinda figure what an SG is, maybe :roll:

Some guns have problems with steel based shells, which those are. Steel will swell and not retract like brass will, it takes a set or fireforms to the chamber.

Go buy a box of premium shells (AA's/STS/Nitro/Federal Gold Medals) and make sure the ones you get are not magnetic, or a magnet will not draw to them. Try those, if they stick you need to have the chamber polished, if really tight it may need a little honing. Those I listed above are the only brass based shells made that I am aware of.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I meant SHOT GUN , sorry.. Ok so that would be the only reasons for it not ejecting? So if they dont eject with the shells you told me to try should I give it back to walmart to have it repaired or should I contact remington?

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Well, the gun should eject with any shell, even if you don't mind buying only premium shells (if they do work) the gun is still either too tight, or the chamber isn't polished out. I would probably take it back if I were you.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
I have no idea what procedure WalMart has on repairing guns, everything else, you just exchange with them------

Try the brass based hulls, at least then you know where you stand. If it won't eject with them, it has serious problems, or more serious than you will likely want to tackle.

I take it this is an Express?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I bought some once. The only resaon I don't continue to buy them is Estate shells are $0.40 cheaper. pefofmance wise I had no problems with them in my Mossberg. There were also cleaner then the Estate shells.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I have made a decision to take it back, im not even gonna screw with it, I saved "20%" on this used repaired shot gun, big whoopie. Im gonna pay extra $ to get a brand new one.

My question is should I get the same exact one? If you dont remember what it is its a 12/26 super mag remington express. synthetic black matt, Whatever I choose needs to be from walmart being I have a charge card there. I do think I want all black unless you think thats a bad choice? If you can look on the walmart site and show me a link to the one I should get if you will.

What ill use it for is target shooting, maybe a little hunting out in the hills for rabbits/ small birds. Once I find this shot gun for that stuff I will then get a smaller bbl for HD. so I can interchange back and forth as I need.
Let me know what to get......

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
If they don't give you any problems in returning it and can apply that amount of funds to any other gun, I would just get the express in 2 3/4", for what you say its use will be that is all that is needed. I sure wouldn't choose that gun if I was going to have a 3 1/2 shell put in one.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
I have not had any problems with the same shell myself. The others in my group have not had any issues as well. These shells are not for the reloader.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm a newby who just bought his first SG. I bought an 870 Express Magnum to see how much I liked shooting skeet/Pheasant hunting and I'm hooked.

The 870 will soon be my backup gun, but I am having the same problem with the shells jamming.

My question is regarding the polishing of the chamber. Is that something I could do myself? If so, could you give me advice as to how its done. The owner's manual does not tell you how to do it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
You need to first make sure the chamber is the problem, take a spent hull that gave you problems removing and see if it indeed, sticks in the removed barrel.

There should be no rough gouges or distinct machine marks in the chamber, if there is then it can be polished out, but I think that chamber should be chromed, so you want to only polish it til the gun works well and not enough to remove the protective layer.

You need a 12 gauge brush, drill, and cut piece of Scotchbrite, use maroon color for this, then some 0000 steel wool.

Cut a piece of Scotchbrite into a section about 1.5" X 1" and wrap around the brush that is chucked in the drill, put a light amount of oil in the chamber. You will have to compress the wrapped brush in, the start polishing, use high speed at first.

Recheck your work every 20 seconds of running til the hull is free in the chamber, then wrap the steel wool around the brush for the final polish.

If the chamber is too rough for this to work, it may require honing.

Finish clean and re-oil the barrel.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I have used those on several occassions in 20ga.....never seemed to have any problems with them.

·
Registered
432 Posts
High velocity 12 gauge 1 oz loads work great in gas-operated semi-automatic shotguns such as Remington 1100/11-87 or Browning Gold. 1 oz loads may not cycle a Benelli M-1/M-2 and are probably not suitable for most 3 1/2" autos such as SBE II. Otherwise, the 1 oz should reduce the felt recoil to that of a 1 1/8 oz load at 1200 fps. Note that over 1290 fps is not legal for ATA registered Trap, and some local non-sanctioned tournaments might enforce ATA rules. BTW, some games such as FITASC limit shot to 1 oz, but the long shots on some stations make #7 1/2 shot a better choice than #8. The bottom line: how does it feel to you, and how does it pattern in YOUR shotgun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts