Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Mossberg SA-20/TriStar G3 Viper are both great. The design seems very similar to Beretta (390, IIRC), but a lot cheaper. Trigger sucks, but you can fix that by replacing one spring. Or if you want to go fancy, you could spend $100 on a trigger job and still be way cheaper than a Beretta.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Yep, the Viper Bronze is a looker.

For some more Turkish options, I wouldn't be afraid of giving a current Weatherby a try.
Agree...it's the same gun as the Mossberg and TriStar, just variations in wood, chokes, and case. I think the Mossberg comes with a nice hard case. My used TriStar just came in a cardboard box. Don't know about the Weatherby version.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the sa20, took around 400 rounds to cycle 7/8 oz target loads reliably. The gas piston likes to be a little wet, after cleaning add a couple of drops of oil to the piston and good to go.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
>I wouldn't be afraid of giving a current Weatherby a try.<<
Well, I gave the Element Deluxe a try in 20 ga., but unfortunately it would just not feed reliably. Too bad, cuz it was a rather sweet looking gun. Alas, out the door it went. I find 20 ga. autos to be not as forgiving as 12 ga. versions, and this has been the case with my Viper G2 Silver to an extent. To be honest, I haven't put a lot of mileage on it so far, so perhaps it needs a little more breaking in. On the other hand, my Viper G2 Bronze in 12 ga. has not missed a beat. Oh well....

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
On the other hand, my Viper G2 Bronze in 12 ga. has not missed a beat.
Neither has my Retay 20 GA. 😁👍

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Asphalt Wood Road surface

Reactions: Frog111

·
Registered
28,184 Posts
The mossberg SA 20 ...
There is no question in my my little mind that the best value in autoloading shotguns comes from Turkey and with the current conditions, Turkey is pulling away very quickly. Skilled labor in Turkey is dirt cheap. The average MONTHLY salary in Turkey is 7,830 Turkish lira which equals $652.07 U.S. See Turkish lira in historic 15% crash after Erdogan stokes fire sale . "Lira has shed 42% vs dollar this year, weakest global currency"

I have personal friends in Turkey that I've talked with on the phone this week. Inflation is currently at 20% or so, and workers are hurting like you wouldn't believe.

Nothing comes close to the quality per dollar than Turkish shotguns. For example, see Viper G2 - TriStar Arms . Everything else (gas auto) in that price range looks like cheap junk. The inertia Retay Masai Mara's are even better: Bohler steel, hand fixtured hard-soldered ribs just like a Perazzi, all-metal trigger guards. Tri-Star and Retay both have far better customer service than most-- Retay has the warranty edge at 5 years.

·
Registered
28,184 Posts
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun accessory

Due to a large number of requests, the original Mossberg SA-20 / Weatherby Element comparison has been expanded to include the Benelli M2 Comfortech and a vintage Browning B-80. Both the Browning B-80 and the Benelli have been well-used, part of my regular group of pheasant hunting shotguns, where the Mossberg SA-20 and the Weatherby were factory new.

Weight: the lightest of the group is the 24 inch barreled Benelli M2 at 6 lbs. on the nose, the Mossberg and Browning B-80 both are 6-1/4 lbs., and the Weatherby Element hits 6-1/2 lbs.

FUNCTION WITH TARGET LOADS

The target load used to test function was Remington American Clay & Field 7/8 oz., 1200 fps loads. The Browning B-80 has a 3 inch chamber and normally needs 1 oz. or heavier shells for perfect function. It did work with the Remington Clay & Field loads, but failed to hold the bolt open after the last (third shot) and failed to eject the third shell a few times as well. This is to be expected with Browning B-80 / Beretta 302 / Beretta 303 series 20 gauges: if you want reliability with 7/8 oz. loads, use a 2-3/4 inch chambered barrel.

The Benelli M2 and the Mossberg SA-20 had satisfyingly strong ejection with 7/8 oz. target loads. The Weatherby Element had no failures to feed or eject, but the ejection was on the weak side which improved a bit the more it was fired.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I bought my son a Beretta A202 youth gun when he was 12. Prior to that he used (and still mostly uses) a Remington 1100 in 28 gauge. The Beretta functioned with Winchester AA target loads, but not with my light reloads. Somewhere along the line I acquired a 28" barrel and found that my handloads would function in it; I presume the longer dwell time for the gas to enter the system helps. Both barrels have 3" chambers.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Benelli M2 and the Mossberg SA-20 had satisfyingly strong ejection with 7/8 oz. target loads. The Weatherby Element had no failures to feed or eject, but the ejection was on the weak side which improved a bit the more it was fired.

Randy,
any documentattion on the SA 20 longevity?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts