Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a newbie to skeet shooting, I always welcome advice from veterans. Realizing that I was not harming very many clays while shooting skeet, I figured that using 12 ga. AA's was a waste of money, so opted to purchase a quantity of Remington promos in the form of Game Loads that were cheap at Dick's. While shooting with some experienced shooters recently, they noticed what I was using for ammo and felt that (1) the high velocity loads at 1290 fps were too fast and (2) that these promo shells were extremely poor in quality with their velocities varying as much as 150+ fps even in shells from the same box. I am far from the point where I would like to load my own, but would like opinions as to the best quality shells for clays for the best price for this beginner's needs. Mike Sp

·
Registered
541 Posts
I happen to use fed. gold medal they seem to work good for practice. and they won't break the bank. after some time you will find what works and what does not. take my house,ok...my truck,mabey...my guns,NEVER!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Umm well okay Mirage shells are (cuss's) decent. They won't make fun of you for shooting them.(the reason i don't like them is one time i got a canted wad and it hit i think the forcing cone and broke the link/wishbone in my gun.) Browning, The Best there is because second best is well...second best.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They are a little over kill, but I shoot with a guy that gets his at Dicks for $2.78 a box and shoots skeet with them all the time. Try and tell him there no good as he is in the 20s all the time. Something in the 2.75 to 3 drams of 1 1/8 oz. of #9 would be better. Ckeck out Wally World as they sometimes have some lite loads at a good price.Dave A

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mirage makes light trap and skeet loads for wussy's that can't take two shots of a 12. And plus if you get super lucky you might hit the crossing doubles in one shot :) Browning, The Best there is because second best is well...second best.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeh I have seen some wussy men that don't like 12' for trap and here I am playing with the 3" magnums and they jerk when I would shoot. But that is why us women have the babies and they stand around acting like it was hard on them. :p "Goldens, great friends, better hunters"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hay Shotgun Girl, What kind of a slingshot are you using that you broke your wishbone with a canted wad. Never heard of such a thing. Hope it didn't hurt.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
The original question pertains to the promo ammo vs what is considered the good stuff.Tear apart one of those Remington sport loads and see what is inside. Pick 5 at random and weigh them out. The powder and shot drop can vary greatly from lot to lot. Are the sport loads the 7/8o z shot? Compare the components to the AA, STS, or Gold Medal. Look at the pellets, the AA's are using the high antimony lead vs the softer stuff. Generally IF there is a true wad in the promo shells it is a meer shotcup, where the AA has a true wad with cut petals and a cushion piston. So, what does all that mean? Better components make better shells. More consistent patterns, harder hitting pellets, etc. There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Noblesport makes a good skeet load, 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz #9 shot and they go for around 4 dollars after tax and the paper ones arnt much more. I have had very good luck with them. broke quite a few hundreds in skeet since using them this yearsteven

G

·
:x To the guy who says use heavy loads and you might get lucky and break the double in one shot. Know your game, you have to shoot them over if you break them in one shot its not legal...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Rick 618: I don't know these things, but a friend said he checked-out the Wal-Mart Winchester promotional shells and found the wad first rate (I thought he said same as AA), and powder measurements precise. Only 7/8 oz loads. Didn't you make a post providing similar information one time?

People like to become judgmental with new shooters, and I think it is important that you use a little discernment. Most of this stuff concerning shells, as it applies to a new shooter, is not relevant due to skill level.

Let me give you an example. Let's say a 1200 foot per second shell (measured right out of the barrel) gets to the target in .05 of a second. A 1400 feet per second shell might get there .008 faster.

So what does that mean in terms of lead to a beginner. It means the 1200 fps requires a lead of 3.8 feet and the 1400 fps requires a lead of 3.3 feet...a difference of about six inches. Yes, six inches does mean something, but as a practical matter it doesn't mean much to a new shooter as the shot pattern is 26 inches wide.

Personally, I think it requires about 2500 rounds before you get a feel for the sport of skeet, and at that time you might make different considerations.

I figure that when I can hit 50 straight on a regular basis I will start worrying about the ammo.

I don't want to completely dismiss this issue as not being relevant. I have heard more than one coach say that if you are shooting consistently 98 or 99, but not hitting 100 that more consistent ammo might take you to the top. Again, that might be a realistic way of saying that cheap ammo will produce scores 2/10ths of one percent lower than the expensive stuff.

By the way, this is an issue that has been blind-tested at more than one club, and scores do not improve by shooting more epensive ammo at the club level, all things being the same, like lead weight.

I am not aware of the type of ammo you are using and just using the cheap stuff they sell at Wal-Mart and Fleet Farm, which is Federal, Winchester and Remington. I like the 1 oz Federals the best at Fleet Farm for $30 per case.

The best prices on ammo are at Wal-Mart in about August when they put their promotional Winchester/Remington shells on clearance, and they are sold at $21 per case...pick-up 10 or 20 cases as they usually sell out in about six days.

I guess what I am saying is to shoot what you want. There will be a time, when you want to improve the quality of your ammo. In my own particular case, I just like to try and standardize what I am shooting so it feels the same each time.

Of course, there is the other issue of how much ammo you are shooting. If you are shooting league, two boxes a week for 12 weeks the penalty to shoot premium ammo is about $38...then you have to ask yourself, "who cares" how much you pay for ammo. Just bring your gun and show up at the club and buy over the counter.

·
Registered
649 Posts
MikeSp
I shoot Win AA, Rem STS and Rem GunClub/ShurShot promos.
At skeet ranges there is NO difference. As to how much and how fast it should go, I'll tell you what I reload mine to.

Hull: 12 ga. AA,STS or Rem promo(inspected and in good condition)
Primer: Win 209
Powder: 16.9 Clays
Wad: CB 4100-12B
Shot: 7/8 oz. of Mag #9
FPS: 1180 - 1200

This will smash any bird on the skeet field, to include the 2nd bird on 3,4,5 shoot off doubles.There is no need to shoot and more or any thing faster. If you shoot 1 1/8 oz at 1200 and faster at skeet you are only hurting your chances(ie: developing a flinch or slowing down your recovery time for the second shot on doubles) of improving.

Some people will tell you 7/8 oz in 12 ga. isn't enough shot. I say BS. 7/8 is the 20 ga. skeet load and it works great there!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts