Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to shooting clays, only shot them a few times over the years. I have been seriously considering taking it up as a hobby and would appreciate some guidance.I have shot an A-5 for years but want to move into an o/u for regular use.Anyone have comments or opinions on a Remington Peerless?I am leaning this direction for price and versatility in various clays. Thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
are you talkin bout the 3200?? If so it's a great gun and i would suggest itotherwise if it is called a peerless i have no clue*is a blonde* Fantastic!! Browning, The Best there is because second best is well...second best.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The remington Peerless is just a piece of junk. The 300 ideal and 332? are also junk. The last good ou remington made was the 3200. Dont waist your money on the remington. A beretta or browning would be a lot better gun and not break the bank.Steven

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own the Remington 396 Sporting, 300 Ideal, and the 332. I personally have had no prblems with any of them. I plan on purchasing the Peerless in the next few week also. It is based on the model 396 which shoots much better than the 3200 or 32. I think it is a great buy for the money.

·
Registered
109 Posts
In response to the last post made stating that the owner had no problems with the Rem o/u line...all I have to say is he must not have shot them like most competitive shooters I knew. All of them that I have seen have failed before 10,000 rounds. The 3200's are a whole 'nother story and are highly sought after. To the original post asking about a recommendation-find a good used Citori or lower grade Beretta and shoot the ----out of it! Should be able to find such a gun for around $800.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
i did warranty service for remington for years, and these posters know their stuff. all the o/u's after the 3200 are junk. if you are going to hunt it, it should last for years, but if you are going to take it to a clay target range, you will have mucho trouble with it, be it an ideal, 300, or 332. these guys and girls are right on the money. get a browning or beretta. i also did warranty work for browning. talk about the maytag man!! if you are going to take your gun to a gun club and shoot it to death, get the browning or beretta. i prefer the browning, but i know a browning intimately, and how well they are made. you have to get a perazzi or a krieghoff to beat a browning. this is not opinion. this is experience, 45 years and about three million rounds fired by yours truly and decades in the repair business. the beretta is also a fine gun, but the browning seems to fit me better and has less felt recoil, an important consideration if you are going to shoot it to death.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
John Wall,
What model o/u Browning do you recommend? Any model worse than others for problems, you know, the broken firing pins, trigger problems etc. I have a limited budget,but would like a good reliable o/u myself. :?:

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
john wall said:
i did warranty service for remington for years, and these posters know their stuff. all the o/u's after the 3200 are junk. if you are going to hunt it, it should last for years, but if you are going to take it to a clay target range, you will have mucho trouble with it, be it an ideal, 300, or 332. these guys and girls are right on the money. get a browning or beretta. i also did warranty work for browning. talk about the maytag man!! if you are going to take your gun to a gun club and shoot it to death, get the browning or beretta. i prefer the browning, but i know a browning intimately, and how well they are made. you have to get a perazzi or a krieghoff to beat a browning. this is not opinion. this is experience, 45 years and about three million rounds fired by yours truly and decades in the repair business. the beretta is also a fine gun, but the browning seems to fit me better and has less felt recoil, an important consideration if you are going to shoot it to death.
John

With your repair background, I would be interested to know if you have any experience with what I am seeing on my Citori, please see;

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=14056

I am not really happy with what I am seeing there, it seems to me that my gun is too "low mileage" to be exhibiting the condition I describe on that post.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
it seems to me if you want a skeet or sporter, get the xs sporter. it is much more alive in the hands than the skeet gun. also, the new 525 is turning heads, get the sporter. i suggest 30" barrels in either model. the 30" sporter will have about the same swing weight as the 28" skeet. the 525 has a longer stock than the xs, and there are cosmetic differences, and some parts will not interchange, but they are basically the same window with different window dressing. for trap, get the trap model of either. i had an xt trap, and it was the best doubles trap gun i ever had., including my $23k krieghoff! i suggest 32" barrels in the trap models. if i remember right, the ultra has a lop of 14 1/4" and the 525 is longer at 14 3/4". you have to spend SERIOUS money to beat a browning. they are light on recoil, and i think the invector plus choke system is the best screwchoke on the market. i like the ported models.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts