Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a new shooter, and I've found myself addicted to skeet already. I'm currently using my 870P for skeet, but would like to get a quality semi-auto to really learn the game on.

I'm currently considering the Beretta AL391 Urika (competition) and the Remington 1100 Tournament Skeet. I like the fact that the Beretta has the shim adjustable stock, but I like the fact that the 1100 comes with a 26" barrel. A 26" barrel on a semi-auto is roughly equivalent to a 30" barrel on an O/U.

So... then I see this new Beretta Extrema2. Nice looking, shim system, 26" barrel, Beretta reliability, approx same weight as AL391, etc. I also like the fact that it has a lot or recoil-reducing features. Recoil doesn't really bother me, but being a new shooter, I would think the least amount of recoil is best for learning skeet.

A few of the things about the Xtrema2 that might not be great for skeet: since it's a field gun the rib is skinnier and might also be a little angled to make it shoot higher which is not good for skeet.

What are your opinions on the Beretta Xtrema2 for skeet? Does anyone currently use one for skeet? If so, I'd love to hear your opinion. If not, a theoretical opinion is welcomed as well.

Thanks a lot for your on-topic replies!

Chris

·
Registered
188 Posts
cool video. u only get two targets in skeet though.!

if you really want to shoot skeet get yourself a used o/u. if money is not an issue get one with a subgauge tube set. thats what nearly all real skeet shooters do.

of course any gun will work. so if you want to shoot skeet with a duck gun go for the extrema.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
I agree... get an O/U. If you do decide to go with an auto, make SURE you get a shellcatcher - you'll tick a lot of people off if your gun in throwing empties all over the place... keep in mind that there are a lot of folks out there who spent more on wood upgrades than you will have invested in your entire gun... they won't be too happy if you put a ding in their stock with a flying hull!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'll start a controversy here:

I shoot a 682, just so everyone knows.

I disagree with the notion that it is somehow the responsibility of the auto shooter to put a shell catcher on. I agree that it is a courteous thing to do, but you and your o/u can stand behind the auto shooter where you are supposed to be so that you do not distract him/her, and then your gun will not get hit with hulls. It is a shame that when you wander out beside the auto shooter you may get hit with an empty, but i really do not see that as the fault of the guy shooting his auto. After all, he is where he is supposed to be, on the pad, and his hulls basically fly out to the side in a predictable manner.

Brent

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Brent-

I agree that a squad should always stay behind the shooter... However, the problem with your statement is that not all autos throw hulls the same direction - I've seen lots of instances where a squad was behind a shooter and still got hit by empties. In particular this happens on station 2 when shooter track a target for too long... it's almost impossible to stay out of the way of the shooter, short of the squad standing 15 feet behind the shooter.

A responsible shooter, irrespective of the type of gun, makes sure they don't hit their squadmates with empties, and they always police their hulls. Suffice it to say that there are a lot of irresponsible shooters out there! :)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
To get things back on the subject, I currently use an Xtrema 2 w/ Kick Off for Skeet/ Clays. I love it. Recoil with 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz loads is all but gone. I shoot more now than I did w/ any of my O/U's. Mainly due to the fact that I just enjoy the gun.
Mine has the 28" bbl on it.
Get the Xtrema, if you're wanting something w/ wood, get the 391 Urika. Either way you'll be happy with it.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
There is no reason to put a shell catcher on an auto used for Skeet unless the shooter wants to save the shells. I've seen a lot of Skeet shooters using autos and have yet to see a shell catcher.

The whole idea is ridiculous!

Scott

·
Registered
649 Posts
drsfmd said:
A responsible shooter, irrespective of the type of gun, makes sure they don't hit their squadmates with empties, and they always police their hulls. Suffice it to say that there are a lot of irresponsible shooters out there! :)
Just wonder how doubles is gonna' get shot with the shell catcher?

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Rem 3200,

I was assuming the device would be disabled or removed prior to shooting the doubles.

Also, Rule III-G-14 does not allow a shooter to pick up hulls during a registered shoot so no policing of hulls...

Scott

·
Registered
649 Posts
Scott, I was kidding about the doubles. :D :D :D

The rules also require other shooters to stand back at least six feet from the shooter on the pad. So drsfmd, if you are standing closer you are interfearing with the shooter.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Rem 3200,

Rule I-E offers recommendations for shooter positions. They are not required. Not many shooters hang back 6 feet when they are next in line. But, No one should be standing where they are going to get hit by hull ejected out of a pump or automatic.

Scott

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
winders Posted:
But, No one should be standing where they are going to get hit by hull ejected out of a pump or automatic.
Especially from a BPS :lol: 8) :shock:

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Equismith said:
winders Posted:
But, No one should be standing where they are going to get hit by hull ejected out of a pump or automatic.
Especially from a BPS :lol: 8) :shock:
I don't even wanna know what they're doing if they get hit by the hulls from a BPS. (they eject out the bottom). :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
202 Posts
drsfmd, I can see no way an ejected shell would hit someone, except maybe on station 1, if the squad is behind the shooter. Your example of station 2....the shooter would have to be shooting far RIGHT of the low house for this to happen. Frankly, it's not the shooters responsibility to make sure hulls don't hit others when thrown from a properly working gun.

As far as a "ding" in an expensive stock is concerned, there's probably a much better chance of that happening on station 8 (or even low 1 and high 7) coming from pieces of target.

P_102

·
Registered
800 Posts
Anybody walking out on the skeet field with some fancy stock is doing so at his own risk in my opinion. Empty hulls fly and target fragments come at you in every shape and size. Skeet guns are tools used to break targets, period. If one wants or needs a work of art for your shoulder, great. Enjoy it. But be aware of the enviroment you are carrying your work of art into.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.