Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a couple of used Remington Peerless 12 ga at the local gun store. They're askin' 'bout $800 a piece. I'll have to have the stock lengthened an inch or so. I don't know much about the Peerless. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
The Peerless was a nice-handling gun, but it was a VERY poor design, with several major design flaws. It was only in production for a short time because of the many problems.

Our club had two of them for use as club skeet guns - neither of them saw much use, and they were both back for repairs in less than a year. They have since been sold (for far less than $800... I belive we got $650 for one, and $600 for the other).

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
i did warranty service for remington for years. do not get a peerless. they are junk. the last good remington o/u was the 3200, and it had its own problems. i wouldn't have a peerless. a clay target range will quickly kill it!

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
The one I bought in new in the mid 1990's has been working fine for skeet and sporting clays without any problems.

I am curious to know what the actual details of the problems are with them; perhaps I should trade it before these show up :?:

G

·
Help! I just bought one of the Peerless guns used but in super shape! What are the design flaws? What are the many problems with this gun? How can I get them fixed before it fails on me? I bought it to shoot sporting clay with. What about these courses will kill my new gun? Graci.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
One of the club guns I reference last fall had lockup problems - it would "shoot open" on the first shot. The Factory fixed that problem. Both guns were generating a pile of metal shavings where the forearm metal met the cocking rods. The factory said that it was "normal breaking in" - we kept 'em clean, but eventually they both stopped cocking the hammers when opened.

·
Registered
362 Posts
CM,

I have a Peerless and it's seen limited use over the last decade or so. I've had no mechanical problems with the gun at all. The only downside to it is weight. It is a bit on the heavy side and it's a little front heavy balance wise.

I can understand how some were having lock up problems. You have to keep the gun immaculately clean to get the locking mechanism to close properly. I'm a nut about cleaning my guns so lock up hasn't been an issue for me.

The Peerless could be bought new for about $800 so the price they're looking for on a used model seems a bit on the high side.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Claydust -

The cocking rods had some scoring on the ends, but the wear was primarily on the forearm. After the factory replaced the worn parts, the club sold 'em both. As a side note, we had no gripes about the factory service - we'd send the guns in, and they were back in about two weeks, no charge.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a peerless, got it when it first came out, no problems.
Took it apart to look for metal shavings, none. Guess a little grease does wonders.... But then it is not being used as a range gun either. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts