Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the Weatherby Orion Upland O/U shotgun? Are they any good? Weatherby's reputation with rifles has been excellent, but I have never heard anything about their shotguns. I can order one for $1000 but I can't seem to find any local gunshops that stock them, so I can't look it over before buying.

Thanks,
John

G

·
I have owned two 12ga. Orion o/u's, the first one I was forced to sell, the second I gave up willingly. Nice looking gun (I prefer a satin finish though), shot a lot of birds with it, but it was heavy (most 12ga. o/u's are), and it wouldn't fire the second round after I fired two boxes through it. The factory fixed it though, with no problems whatsoever after that. Mainly I sold it because it pounded my cheek after putting a box or two through it. I think it needed more length of pull for me. I could have had it bent or re-stocked but just decided to go for a smaller gauge upland gun. (I got a 16ga. sxs).

Conclusion: the Orion upland (especially if it comes with an english stock) is a good value for the money, but I would go for the 20ga. vs. the 12. I just think a 12 is overkill for most upland situations.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Also note that weatherby does not make their own guns, but, like charles Daly and Tristar, rebrand other makers guns.
So allways enquire as to who the original manufacturer is, since you might be able to buy the same gun directly from the maker for less.

G

·
The Weatherby over-unders, (Orion, Athena) Are made by SKB. I owned an Orion for 8 years, and shot the heck out of it, with no problems. It was a 20 *****, and it was going to be a lifetime gun, but I got a great deal on a slightly used Beretta ultralight, and that simplified my reloading. The SKB'S, and Weatherby's are great, and built to last 2 lifetimes!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Where's Ulysses? He has always had nice things to say about Weatherby They make a great shotgun. OK so Weatherby only puts their name on them, the Orion and Athena are made by SKB and I think the guns are very well made. I am currently saving for an Orion Grade II. I also have an SAS on order here. Weatherby has quietly been making one of the best values in shotguns for quite some time.

G

·
I had an Orion back several years ago but traded it. The problem I had with mine was the firing pins being broken off when closing the gun. This happened several times and I had a very good local gunsmith and the factory work on the problem. Finally, I traded it for a Citori that I really didn't care for. I traded it for a RRL and since then have bought 2 more. Alot of people on here do not like the RRL's but I do. I have quite a few O/U's and though the RRL is not my favorite, the most ornate and certainly not the most expensive, I hit with them consistently. Most on here seem to equate cost with quality and to some degree that may be the case.
I am no authority on guns obviously because I am one of those guys that shoot sporting clays with a pump :oops: . Why, because I brake clay. I also hunt with the same gun and I stay tuned up year round.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I've looked at the Orion at my local dealer, they have it for $1099. Very nice gun, very good fit and finish, prettier receiver design than SKB in my opinion. The high gloss finish on the wood and rounded knob are not my favorites. The greener lock is supposed to be good but looks old school. I too am out of the mainstream in that I like the Red Label, Sportmart had the Red Label on sale for 10% off their regular price of $1049 which is quite a bargain. Don't know when they will have that offer again.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I recently came across a Weatherby Orion III in like new condition for a great price. I bought the gun and now after 2,000 rounds I would not sell it for the world. I've shot Beretta, Winchester, Remington O/U's and still perfer the Orion.
The main thing is fit and the Weatherby Orion fits me to a tee, and my scores have improved 10 to 15 percent. Of course this doesn't mean that it is the gun for you, only you can decide on that. :wink:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Weatherby parts may or may not be purchased direct from SKB (depending on which part it is.) That being said, I would definitely jump on the chance to buy a Weatherby, and if you are on the edge, talk to Ulysses, this guy knows all about them, I think he has a couple and he is very very knowledgable oh these guns, and just guns in general.

·
Premium Member
19,750 Posts
Thanks for the compliment, Collin. :) Yes, I own more than one Weatherby O/U and have nothing but good things to say about them. For several years, my Orion II Sporting Clays was my main clay shooting gun and in fact I was shooting it again this morning. I've put somewhere in the neighborhood of 15,000 to 20,000 rounds through that gun with no mechanical problems whatsoever. Several years ago, the forend on that gun had a small chip of wood come out just behind the rearward stock screw. I sent it to an authorized Weatherby repair center and they replaced the forend stock with a brand new one that looked at least as good as the original. All it cost me was the shipping cost to the repair center ..... about $20. The work was done with no hassles or questions and the total turnaround time was 3 weeks.

The Weatherby and SKB O/U's are quality built guns. I know several people who shoot them all the time and they have no problems at all. I'm not saying that the Weatherbys are perfect, but neither are the Brownings or Berettas. If you like the Browning or Beretta better, then, by all means, buy one. However, if you like the looks, fit, and feel of the Weatherby, then buy it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
19,750 Posts
NormPete said:
Is there any place to obtain an owners manual for a Weatherby Orion shotgun? I bought one used.
The Weatherby Orion Owner's Manual is practically worthless unless you know nothing about O/U shotguns. Basically the manual tells you only a few things such as:
1. How to assemble/disassemble the gun into its basic parts.
2. How to operate the gun (opening lever, barrel selector, etc).
3. Very basic lubricating tips.
4. Basic gun safety tips.

If you know these above things, there is nothing really to be gained by having an Owners Manual. There are no parts diagrams or anything like that in there. I like the Weatherby guns, but their Owner's Manual doesn't really tell you much. You might look on the Weatherby website for the info.

G

·
I like the Weatherby's as well and have been seriously considering one. I like the slimmer profile and how it fits me compared to the Browning and Beretta; however, I will be using it for Waterfowl as well as clays (something about shooting an O/U at ducks that makes me smile :D ). How well do you think the wood and bluing would hold up? I don't abuse my guns and would take my 870 in rainy conditions.

G

·
I recently purchased a Weatherby Athena Grade III after wanting an O/U for more than 10 years (I finally got a good excuse to buy one). I could not be more happy with it. The gun fits me very well, comes up great and is very easy on the eyes. I shot my first round of sporting clays with it the weekend I bought it and have managed to improve steadily from a 62/100 to a 78/100 over the past 5 weeks. I have a pheasant hunt planned at the end of the month (my excuse to buy it) and I can't wait to see how it works out in the field. I'm certainly no expert but I have been thrilled with mine thus far.

G

·
I recently purchased a Weatherby Athena Grade III after wanting an O/U for more than 10 years (I finally got a good excuse to buy one). I could not be more happy with it. The gun fits me very well, comes up great and is very easy on the eyes. I shot my first round of sporting clays with it the weekend I bought it and have managed to improve steadily from a 62/100 to a 78/100 over the past 5 weeks. I have a pheasant hunt planned at the end of the month (my excuse to buy it) and I can't wait to see how it works out in the field. I'm certainly no expert but I have been thrilled with mine thus far.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Yes, I own a Weatherby Orion and glad that I do.

Have about 2,500 rounds through it and no problems. Had a prof. gun fit which included stock bending to the right and stock bending down. Uni Dot sight, Kick Eeez pad and had the forcing cones polished - spent some money on it in the aftermarket. But oh, it fits and shoots like a dream with no felt recoil on 1 oz. loads at all. A little pop with 1 1/8 oz. above 1200 fps. but its not bad. I do not see the barrel - just move, mount, shoot and I only see the target.

You can purchase in Houston @ Carter's Country for $1,049.50. Great furniture and fit. Pulled it out of the case on the first dove hunt this year and people would not quit talking about it and mounting and swinging it - could not believe the price for the quality. Purchased some Briley Ext. Chokes and smoked them. Went to the skeet range before the dove hunt and going from station 4 only shot high house and low house, 24/25. I have never shot that good before. Maybe the shells helped also, Fiocchi Crusher #8 @ 1300 fps.,1 oz. I am just as impressed now with the gun as I was the first time at the clay range. How will it hold up? I don't know and I don't personally know of anyone that owns one but so far, so good. Mfg. by SKB.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts