3.remington 870
4.winchester 1300
5.norinco or other copy 1895 trench gun 12ga
i want to hear all opinions from these guns, good or bad experiences. :idea:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Welcome to SGW,
I have experience with a few of these, mainly the Americans, and, well, you said everyone.
1. Decent design, but do you really need 3.5? That really compromises the functioning of the gun.
2. Which bank do you plan on robbing?
3. Good, unless you're just not into the whole, "reliable as you can get" kind of thing. Also, see #1.
4. Ok, but #3 is better, IMHO.
5. Norinco is simply a cheap, Chinese copy of well-engineered, time-proven American designs. Don't support the Commies.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
From that list I only have experience with an 870 WingMaster and I love it.

Also, the Norinco is a copy of an 1897 trench gun (the Winchester Model 1897). I want one of those originals.

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
The Winchester 1300 is a very underrated gun, and I would like someone to point out to me why is the 870 *objectively* better.

The 1300 has a lot of the features many high $ foreign guns get drooled over (aluminum alloy receiver, rotary bolt head) but it gets treated like a red-headed stepchild.

And I'm not biased as I am a die hard 870 fan and I do not own a 1300.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I own both and 870 Express 20ga and a 1300 Waterfowl 12ga.

While I shoot both and like both very much, the 1300 I have has to be the slickest pump action I've ever worked. Silky smooth.

But, I own four BPS guns in 12, 20, 28, and 410.

The Winchester 1300 STILL is THE SLICKEST action I've experienced. Period.

My Dad owns an original 1897 in 12ga. NICE!!

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
#1 Standard 3" is all you need/My favorite gun!
#2 never heard of it?
#3 best pump out there especially the Wingmaster.
#4 decant gun: My brother has the defender model and my eldest son used a m1200 youth/21 years of service-no major problems.
#5 pure junk from what I've seen...rather buy a good used gun for the same money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wb the saiga 12 is a 12ga semi-automatic shotgun made by izsmash at the russian ishvesk arsenal it is basically a ak47 but it fires 12ga rounds from a detatchable magazine, also to everyone that responded to my post thank you for your imputs, but also i dont know how i forgot to add the mossberg model 590! dont be afraid to follow up on this gun as well!, thanks :p

·
Registered
65 Posts
In my humble opinion the Remington 870 is the best shotgun for the money you can buy. Not the flashiest or fanciest but totally reliable day in and day out.

fwiw

hubcap

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
That list is pretty much a group of ho hum guns that are probably OK shooters with the exception of the Norinco M97.

·
Banned
473 Posts
"The Winchester 1300 is a very underrated gun, and I would like someone to point out to me why is the 870 *objectively* better."

* The 870, being heavier, will recoil less.
* In duck hunting forums I have read where that rotary bolt stuff can freeze up in really cold weather... don't know that from my own experience - it's just what I've read
* The 870 has a zillion more factory and aftermarket bbls and doodads available
* The 870 comes in more gauges and variations
* Steel does last longer than aluminum
* The 870 holds it's value better

·
Registered
856 Posts
#1 Used to own one....traded it off on a Beretta. Minor things I didn't like about it. Couldn't unload a 3.5 out of it without denting up the brass of the shell was one.

#2 Shot the 20ga version on several occations. Interesting gun, but not practical for my shotgunning needs (bird & deer hunting and clay games). Had definate ammo preference for good reliability. Hung up on one brand bad. Don't remember which.

#3 One of the most practical and reliable guns out there. Plenty of accessories, can do almost any application a shotgun is suited for. One of the most solid guns ever produced. I peronally own more of than I need.

#4 The 1300 was my first repeater. Got traded for an 870 after having it for several years. Didn't fit me well so I didn't hit well with it. Didn't have any mechanical problems with it. Bought it cause I could afford it at the time and I didn't want a Mossberg.

#5 1897 copy.....What I expected. Crude copy of a Winchester. If you have shot an originial and you expect it to be like a Winchester you are going to be disappointed.

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
hardnose said:
"The Winchester 1300 is a very underrated gun, and I would like someone to point out to me why is the 870 *objectively* better."

* The 870, being heavier, will recoil less.
* In duck hunting forums I have read where that rotary bolt stuff can freeze up in really cold weather... don't know that from my own experience - it's just what I've read
* The 870 has a zillion more factory and aftermarket bbls and doodads available
* The 870 comes in more gauges and variations
* Steel does last longer than aluminum
* The 870 holds it's value better
1) By factory specs the 870 is 4 oz heavier than the 1300 of equal barrel length. 1/4 lb is supposed to make it recoil *noticeably* less? :lol:

2) BS. Why doesn't that happen to Benellis? Besides, in case you were wondering, the 870 has moving parts in its bolt which are just as prone to icing up if water gets in there.

3) There are plenty of accessories for the 1300. Not as many as the 870, but how many kinds of the same doo dad do you need?

4) I will give you that, but the 1300 has 13 or 14 different variations in the 2005 catalog. And that's not counting the 1300 tactical models sold under the FN label.

5) Really? I've never seen aluminum turn into a ball of rust. The receiver on both is a non stressed part of the gun. They will both last just as long with minimal care.

6) Please......Comparing basic 870 to basic 1300, both run $175 to $200 in the used market.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have the 1187 3.5 incher. I like it a lot. I like the big shells although some would argue they are not necessary. 3.5 inch shells don't turn your shotgun into a magic wand, but they do allow you to decisively harvest ducks at ranges not normally available to you with 3inch steel shells. Sure you could shoot 3 inch bismuth for the same effect, but at twice the price of 3.5 inch steel. The gas gun abosrbs much of the recoil and makes it shootable. Not sure I'd want to shoot the 3.5 inchers in a pump. The 1187 is very dependable as long as you clean it every 150 rounds or so. It's heavy, but well balanced. One annoying drawback: Trying to slowly unload 3.5 inchers from this gun results in a doublefeed jam every time (at least, with mine it does). You have to really crank the action to clear the weapon. I relearn this every other duck hunt. Overall, I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Only one of the bunch I have any amount of practical experience with is the 870, mine is a 20 year old Wingmaster, not the poorly finished ones of today. It is servicable enough, but a Model 12 it is NOT! The others I probably wouldn't be interested in at all. And I couldn't care less about any "after market accesories or do-dads"! I'm an old foggy who likes walnut and blued steel, with semigloss or matte finished wood. Hangy down things and glows in the dark, magazine extensions, or plastic watchamacallits and elastic somethingorothers on my stock just ain't me! Nice, slick, well fit, and finished shotguns is MY cup or tea, and the closest I see there is the 870, you want to buy one?

BP

1 - 15 of 15 Posts