·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Barreta Storm in .223

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
wfb18 said:
Would anyone really familiar with both high-quality AR-15's and the M4 A.R.G.O. system please comment if the new Benelli MR1 5.56x45mm rifle with the A.R.G.O. system, $1299, might be simpler than and perhaps preferable to an AR-15?

"Benelli's latest offering for home defense is the brand-new MR1, chambered for the 5.56 mm Nato (.223 Rem. Mag.). The MR1 self defense rifle uses the battle-proven A.R.G.O. system, which results in less fouling and more reliable cycling. The MR1 is a Benelli carbine with Marine-tough reliability and the ability to function under the harshest environmental conditions." -- http://www.benelliusa.com/rifles/benelli_mr1_self_defense_rifle.php

Thanks! I'm lookin' to upgrade.

·
Registered
13,280 Posts
FMD observed
Barreta Storm in .223
It is, after all Barreta bought Benelli. Something tells me that they will offer a magazine fed shotgun before long. Saigas are selling too well for the rest of the market to ignore.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
berettadouble said:
And can they make guns any uglier? Oh yeah, the Vinci... :lol:
Futuristic... :wink:

Or maybe they are designed by Geiger...oh wait, he's swiss.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I'm pretty sure a gun devised by geiger would be a rather terrible incarnation. Not that it' would be terrible from an operational standpoint... but I'm pretty sure it would give most people the creeps, as well as shooting flaming fetuses of damnation while possessing creepy dysfunctional sexual overtones....

If only her weren't dead. I'd probably buy one...

·
Registered
305 Posts
The stock looks like it may have come off the M4 shotgun and if that is the case then look out for the collapsible stock coming.Looks wired and it looks like it has a long LOP. But its growing on me but I know that I won't like the price.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Beretta was showing off an identical gun that had the collapsible stock a few years back. Are these built in the states? It would seem that the collapsible stock would be a no-no if it was made in Italy.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
TempestV said:
Beretta was showing off an identical gun that had the collapsible stock a few years back.
Same gun, rebranded.
Are these built in the states?
I don't believe so.
It would seem that the collapsible stock would be a no-no if it was made in Italy.
Possible. Depends on what the current interpretation of "sporting" is (AFAICT, the determination of whether or not a rifle is "sporting" does not solely hinge upon the presence or absence of "evil" features).

No FH/grenade launcher, bayonet, night sights, or integrated bipod, but with a detachable mag and PG.

The collapsible stock could put it over the top into non-importable condition, especially since they have marketed the gun for self-defense instead of sporting purposes.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Looks like something RevDB would buy.

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
wfb18 said:
Would anyone really familiar with both high-quality AR-15's and the M4 A.R.G.O. system please comment if the new Benelli MR1 5.56x45mm rifle with the A.R.G.O. system, $1299, might be simpler than and perhaps preferable to an AR-15?

"Benelli's latest offering for home defense is the brand-new MR1, chambered for the 5.56 mm Nato (.223 Rem. Mag.). The MR1 self defense rifle uses the battle-proven A.R.G.O. system, which results in less fouling and more reliable cycling. The MR1 is a Benelli carbine with Marine-tough reliability and the ability to function under the harshest environmental conditions." -- http://www.benelliusa.com/rifles/benelli_mr1_self_defense_rifle.php

I have some questions, and I found some information.

1) Since an AR-15 has pretty close tolerances, and requires discipline to keep it clean or else it can jam if grime gets around the bolt head, would a Benelli MR1 with the A.R.G.O. system be simpler to maintain for newbies?

2) "Like all Benelli shotguns and rifles, the main spring is placed inside the butt stock - meaning a folding stock is not an option, although hopefully an M1014 folding stock will be made available." Because the main spring in the two-position collapsible stock from a Beretta Rx4 Storm would be used on the Benelli MR-1, does that mean that it cannot be replaced with a 6-position AR-15 style stock?

3) The A.R.G.O. system in the Benelli M4 (M1014) uses two stainless-steel self-cleaning pistons located just ahead of the chamber to function opposite the rotating bolt, thereby eliminating the need for the complex mechanisms found on other gas-actuated semi-automatic shotguns. Has anyone observed pitted A.R.G.O. pistons in a Benelli M4 (M1014) shotgun or a pitted A.R.G.O. piston in a Beretta Rx4 Storm rifle?

"The Benelli MR1 Carbine is the civilian version of the Beretta Rx4 Storm. Benelli, a subsidiary of Beretta, designed the A.R.G.O. gas system used by the MR1/Rx4 and, at least in Italy, manufactured both the MR1 and the Rx4 Storm. I suspect that the MR1's sold in the United States will be manufactured at the Beretta plant. What differentiates the MR1 from other 5.56mm rifles is the gas system it uses. Originally the Auto-Regulating Gas System (A.R.G.O.) was designed for the Benelli M4 Super 90, better known by its U.S. Military designation, the M1014 Joint Service Combat Shotgun. Benelli then adapted the system for their A.R.G.O. line of hunting rifles (branded the Benelli R1 in the United States). In 2005 the Beretta Rx4 Storm, a tactical version of the A.R.G.O. rifle, was introduced and marketed to law enforcement. As far as I know the Rx4 has never been available in a select fire variant but they decided to market it to civilians as the Benelli MR1. The A.R.G.O. gas system has an interesting short stroke piston design. Gas is trapped very close to the chamber. The high pressure gas ensures reliable cycling regardless of ammunition. This means that it can cycle any shotgun shells, regardless of the load. For a rifle it means the barrel can be very short and a suppressor could be fitted without any cycling issues. This gun is just asking to be converted into a Short Barreled Rifle! The gas is then fed into an expansion chamber. The pressure in the chamber drives the piston assembly, which has dual rods. The high pressure is regulated by a release valve. These diagrams should illustrate how the system works." -- FireArm Blog

I would like to know if there have been any reports of A.R.G.O. rifle piston pitting and corrosion in the Beretta RX4 Storm? One hunter insists that he properly maintained his "moderately used" Benelli R1 hunting rifle and he supplied photos (below) of its corroded A.R.G.O. rifle piston. This hunter believes that Benelli is headed for disaster if the MR1 A.R.G.O. rifle piston is the same as the piston in the R1. Benelli Customer Service countered regarding corrosion and pitting of the gas piston in the R1 rifle: "There is no problem with the guns. Rust is a result from improper storage in most cases or irregular cleaning."

Are the R1 and MR1 employing the same rifle A.R.G.O. piston, and does it really wear out quickly? Could corrosive ammunition and delayed cleaning be the hunter's real problem?

Benelli on the R1: "The reliability of the R1's Auto-Regulating-Gas-Operated (A.R.G.O.) system has been proven in the U.S. Marine Corps choice of the M4 (M1014) military shotgun and has been adapted for centerfire rifle cartridges with a three-lugged rotary bolt. The rifle's gas cylinder is positioned just in front of the chamber allowing for short operating rods and reduced recoiling mass."

Benelli on the MR1: "A combat carbine has to perform the first time, every time. The ultra-reliable A.R.G.O. system incorporated into the new Benelli MR1 does it for the U.S. military, and now can be the centerpiece of an effective home defense plan. The MR1 rifle, Benelli's latest offering, is chambered in 5.56mm NATO (.223 Rem.) and uses the battle-proven A.R.G.O. system - the same system developed by Benelli for the M4 (M1014) and used for over a decade in multiple conflicts by the United States Marine Corps... The MR1 features a stainless steel, self-cleaning piston that operates directly against the proven rotating bolt, thereby eliminating the need for complex linkages found on other inferior gas systems. This A.R.G.O. piston-driven system, perfected by Benelli, incorporates a gas port located just forward of the chamber where the gases are hotter and cleaner, resulting in less fouling and more reliable cycling. In function testing the MR1 exceeded the military requirements without malfunction. The result is a Benelli carbine with Marine-tough reliability able to function under the harshest environmental conditions."

There has been a reasonable objection that the reliability of the M4 (M1014) shotgun A.R.G.O. system should not necessarily imply the same reliability of the rifle A.R.G.O. system. The shotgun pistons have a different design, so the objection is that the longer shotgun pistons have enough ribs on them that they will continue to function even if they corrode and pit. "The rifle piston looks like the operating area is so short that any pitting is guaranteed to have a detrimental effect." Moreover, it was objected that a M4 (M1014) shotgun was unlikely to have pitted pistons because shotguns operate at very low pressure compared to rifles. -- BenelliUSA Forum

·
Registered
194 Posts
The price is quite low considering it is piston driven and a Benelli to boot. However, the stock is way too long and the collapsible stocks are more than a few hundred dollars, when you can find them. I did not know they had that many parts. :shock: A redesigned CX4 it is not.

·
Registered
50 Posts
shake a old thread...
anyone know if either the beretta of the benelli is available in a bigger caliber??
i really want 1 for deer hunting, and .223 is just too controversial for if its a ethical size for deer, even though it is legal because its centerfire.

·
Registered
380 Posts
EaZ8 said:
shake a old thread...
anyone know if either the beretta of the benelli is available in a bigger caliber??
i really want 1 for deer hunting, and .223 is just too controversial for if its a ethical size for deer, even though it is legal because its centerfire.
.223 is not legal for deer in all states and possibly provinces. Check your local regulations.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts