Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big 5 has some pretty decent weekly shotgun prices and I do pick up ammo there sometime as well.
Lately, they have been getting some very good condition yugo 24/47 Mausers. I missed the $129 ad special since they sold the only one they had last week, but the manager at the store near me is cool and told me he'd sell the next shipment's mauser at the ad price. So I came in to see if the condition was good for $129 and they also had a sale on a russiam M44 mosin bolt action carbine for $79. This rusky carbine thing is basically new 1946 post war either never issued or rebuilt. this is the cheapest firearm I have ever purchased.

So I got two high powered rifles for $200. saved a few bucks since you can put up to 4 longguns on a background check.

I can't tell you much more 'cause the 10 day wait in this state.

anyways, I had no idea that I was looking for a russian rifle, but that is as close to free as you can get for a gun. links below for similar models. I think I'll look into getting an SKS too...just because.

http://www.courter.org/guns/rifles/m44.html
http://www.surplusrifle.com/yugom48/index.asp

·
Registered
937 Posts
Great find and buy, Mike!!!

While I have NO experience with the Mosin-Nagant, they are supposed to be built like a tank.

The M48 is very closely related to the K98k Mauser. It is my understanding that the receiver is just 'a touch' shorter than the K98k. (This is what I've read. How much shorter, I'm not sure. Negligible amount, I guess.)
The Mauser action is said to be the strongest action in the world!
IF you find that you either don't like the 8mm (7.92 mm actual) caliber or, can't find an abundance of ammo, these rifles can easily be re-barreled to .308 Win or .30-'06 or another with the same approximate rim diameter.
Just keep in mind that most if not all (surplus) 8mm ammo that is available today is corrosive and as such, the rifle needs to be treated to a good 'bath' shortly after shooting, or, you will have a 'science project' happening in the barrel, the next day!

Again. . . GREAT FIND!!!!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Big 5 is a great place for cheap milsurps. Not long ago, they were selling Swiss K31s, probably the most accurate military rifles ever fielded.

Note the Yugo M48 is not exactly the same as the 24/47. A few years ago, a bazillion of the former were discovered in Yugoslavia in perfect, unissued condition, and apparently they are STILL importing and selling the inventory. I bought one back when they were still news. Got a 24/47 at the same time.

Mosin-Nagants are great rifles, and the 7.62x54R ammunition is relatively cheap and plentiful and made in Russia. I think we have about four or five Mosin-Nagants around here. It is the rifle that won WWII.

The M44 is basically the same as the M38 carbine, except with the fixed bayonet. It is a lightweight but powerful carbine, which means a nasty kick. Wear a shoulder pad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.