Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to possible get into gun games and I want a tactical holster for my Para-Ordnance. I think I know the answer is the Safariland 6004 but just wanted to get some opinions. I really do not want a low drop leg, my plan is to remove the top strap and run it high but just low enough to be out of the way.

Option two is a nylon holster, I can pretty much build anything nylon so if someone has input on the perfect nylon holster I'll consider that too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Just curious, what is a tactical type holster? Is that one that rides lower than the belt holsters?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fred_G said:
Just curious, what is a tactical type holster? Is that one that rides lower than the belt holsters?
Short answer yes.

My long answer is an overtly carried holster intended as a component of first line gear, generally designed to ride at a lower level to avoid interference with rifle deployment and possibly a plate carrier/vest.

I hate the word tactical but sometimes it's the best we got.

Hope that helps make things clear as mud ;)

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Thanks, that was what I thought. Always good to use proper terminology. I have a regular OWB holster that is nice, but not what you are looking for, and I don't think the guy makes 'tactical holsters'.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fred_G said:
Thanks, that was what I thought. Always good to use proper terminology. I have a regular OWB holster that is nice, but not what you are looking for, and I don't think the guy makes 'tactical holsters'.
Good looking out, thanks!

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Safariland 6004 with -10 plate, or 6285 (will run about as high as the 04-10 plate, but not have the leg strap).

If I had to do it all over again, I'd get the 6285.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FMD said:
Safariland 6004 with -10 plate, or 6285 (will run about as high as the 04-10 plate, but not have the leg strap).

If I had to do it all over again, I'd get the 6285.
Strangely they list a different part number for the Colt 1911 and Para-Ordnance P14 for the 6004 and do not list a 6285 as fitting the Para-Ordnance. I wonder what is different, every holster I have I just bought for a standard 1911 and it fit perfectly.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Para double-stacks have wider frames. On some holsters, it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes they are, it must be that the holster design behind the frame is rigid and would not clear. I think the cop shop in my area stocks them so I might take trip by and look.

Also you are right on about the -10 plate, unfortunately it looks like you cannot order that configuration. So it adds almost $50 to the price as a separate item.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
You can cut a standard plate down to -10 configuration with a little dremel work, but again: if I had to do it all over, I'd go with the 6285. If you can't find an exact fit with the 6285, but you can find a 6280 that fits, there's a 1.5" extender that can be added on (no idea at what cost).

The 6000 series holsters are pretty modular.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.