Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one happen to have a .22 rifle besides their ******?
I'm looking to get one and wanted to see what people have and how they like them.
And it has to be California legal. :x

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I've got a Ruger 10/22 I've had for 25 years and just bought my kids a CZ452 Scout Bolt action. The CZ is an absolute tack driver at 50 yards and has exceptional wood.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The beat part about any .22lr is the ammo is cheaper than water. You might also like to pick up a pistol like a Ruger Mk.II or the Browning Buck Mark. Those things are fun.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Most people love their Ruger 10/22's better than they do many of their relatives, and with good reason. The Rugers, for example, unlike the relatives, do not make doofy comments over dinner. Nor do the Rugers overstay their welcome! I had one (a Ruger, not a relative) in 22 magnum that was just utter hell on woodchucks. I fear the chucks had begun to call me "silent death" or something. I would note however that the price tag is pretty high. Marlin makes some very nice .22 rimfires in bolt, lever, etc. I wouldn't disdain them.

Another thing about the 10/22's is that they are so popular that you can get accessories that make them look like Uzi's, or assault rifles, or lasers, or what have you. They're more a cult than a gun (fine one I am to talk, with my deep desire to marry my Ithaca 16 ga!)

Good luck, and let us know what you get! Just be prepared to undergo de-programming if you ever decide to sell your Ruger.

Jeff23

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have a Browning Buckmark Silhouette pistol that is extremely accurate! I also have a Browning A-Bolt 22 Medallion with engraved rings and a Simmons scope, and that is also very accurate.

·
Registered
116 Posts
antwon412 said:
Any one happen to have a .22 rifle besides their ******?
I'm looking to get one and wanted to see what people have and how they like them.
And it has to be California legal. :x
I have a couple Ruger 10/22's, a Ruger Mark I, and a Ruger Mark II with 10" bull barrel. I can't say enough good things about all my Rugers, they have performed flawlessly for me for years. Get yourself a nice Ruger 10/22 and then purchase one of the Volquartsen target hammers with springs and shim kit for another $30, it will make a HUGE difference on smoothness of trigger and trigger pull (it reduced my 10/22 trigger pull from almost 8 lbs to 1.2 lbs). If the 10/22's have one flaw, it's their heavy trigger pull when fresh from the factory.

Regards,

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, thenks for all the input. Anyone had any experiance with the Remington 597? Its a .22 that I looked at. Good price on it and I know they make real nice shotguns but would just like a little input if there is any.

G

·
I have a remington 597 in .22 magnum with a 3-12X scope on it and it's super out to 100 yards on woodchucks. Kind of a spongy trigger but not hard to get used to. A very reliable gun that i would recomend to someone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 597. No complaints about it, except that weird little ragged hole on all of their bolt carriers. The metal mags may take some fiddling to get to be 100% reliable, but it's a nice rifle overall, well worth the money.

Plus it feels more like a rifle, while the 10/22 feels more like a toy.

G

·
If you like the 597 do your self a HUGE favor and get the .17hmr. I have many .22s and just think hmr ammo is WAY mor accurate and packs a big punch for its size!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.