Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to load the following:
20 ga. Win AA Hull
Win 209 Primer
Win WAA20 Wad
Hodgdon International Powder 14 Gr.
7/8 oz. #9 shot
PW 900 press

I have tried Mec bushing 21 and it throws 13.5 gr consistent. I used bushing 22 and it throws 14.2 gr. consistent. Is 14.2 gr safe? Can I proceed or do I need to try some other bushing?
I have the adapter to use Mec bushings in the PW loader.
Thanks in advance.
Bob

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Personally, I would not take a chance with that because the 14gr load is already listed at 11,800 PSI. What about the chance that one load comes out at 14.6gr because it got exceptionally well packed into the bushing for some reason.

Take the bushing that you have that throws 13.5 and ream it out a little at a time until you are throwing 13.8-13.9grs.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Better yet, just be satisfied with the 13.5 grain...always err on the side of caution. I always stepdown from a published load if I cant load it.

Bob

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Give the larger bushing a couple swipes of your wifes nail polish and that should bring it down enough. I've found that it works out to about one swipe per .1 grain. with MEC bushings.

Tim

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
I'd use the # 21 bushing, that only a half grain lower that what you want. I doubt you'll be able to tell the the difference unless you shoot it over a chrony, an see what the fps is between the 2 loads.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'd also use the #21 bushing, that 14 grain load is too close to a max pressure load. If you want more speed switch to a slower burning powder like Universal Clays.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts