Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the local gun shop and asked for a LIGHT RECOILING target load. The guy behind the counter plunks down a box of 3 DRAM 7 1/2 shot 1200FPS Fiocchis. Not knowing any better I bought some and took it to the range to see what patterns I would get.
I went through half the box and it kicked too hard for my liking.
I didn't see how I could possibly shoot such an uncomfortable load at a moving target.
I read up on how to properly mount the gun to my shoulder and the fit seems to be just fine. If the gun is fitting me fine, the load must be too much for me to handle. What am I a WUSS?

I looked at some light recoil loads by Remington and Winchester.
Remington STS12LR or STS121
Winchester AA12FL

Anyone else have some suggestions on ammo choice?

·
Registered
354 Posts
What kind of gun?

I found changing ammo, at least among 1oz - 1-1/8oz 2-3/4" shells, to be of minimal help. (Don't ever try 3" magnum 00 buck out of an 18" barrelled Mossberg...) Besides, if you use something like Winchester AAs "low noise/low recoil" load (26gms shot, 2-1/2 dram eq powder) you'll be lucky to break birds off the 16 yard line, much less any further back.

Put a good recoil pad like a Limbsaver on it and watch your problems go away. I did this with my Winchester O/U. It about did me in the first time I shot it. Literally thought I'd ripped or broken something in my shoulder after 50-75 rounds. After putting the pad on it I've been able to do 125 rounds with no discomfort whatsoever.

-- Sam

G

·
Have you had the gun fitted to you?

Is your stance correct?

Is your mount correct?

1oz will help but not if the above are wrong

Roger

·
Registered
520 Posts
I would have to say first off the clerk at your local gun shop did not know what they were doing. A 3 Dram load is not light. Recoil is a matter of payload, velocity and the weight of your gun. By reducing the shot load to 1 oz loads and keeping the velocity below 1200 fps should help quite a bit. Look for Winchester or Remmington 1 oz light target loads. You will not be limited at all with only 1 oz of shot. SAML was right to ask what type of gun you are shooting. A pump will hit harder then an auto because the auto uses up some of the recoil to cycle the action. Looking at different guns you will find target guns weigh more than field guns because field guns are designed to be carried all day long hunting and odds are you will not be shooting 100 -200 rounds in a day ( and if you are please invite me to go hunting with you !). Target guns are heavy to help absorb recoil and many target shooters shoot light 1 oz ot 7/8 oz loads.

Strangely, here lies a contradiction, for most guns and loads for hunting . Hunting guns are lighter and most hunting loads are heavier, 1 1/8, 1 1/4, 1 3/8 oz hot loads. But most hunters will not notice the recoil because they are wearing heavier clothes and in a hunting situation you more naturally absorb the recoil. On a trap or skeet field folks will tense up and be more stiff when shooting targets. This combined with light clothes increases the "felt recoil" on the shooting range. All these factors plus how the gun fits you make felt recoil a very real issue for some people. Look a the following before your next trip out:
A: shoot lighter loads
B: relax when shooting targets. Keep the gun snug, your weight forward, leaning into the gun. Let your body naturally rock back with the recoil.
C: Make sure your gun fits you. Too short or too long of a stock and you will feel more recoil.
D: Get some coaching from the local instructor. They can help insure your properly mounting the gun.

Good Luck

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
330 Posts
The clerk at your local gun shop may have a sense of humour :D .
It's funny how different people have a different recoil tolerence.
You may well find it's your gun mount or stance, I get the odd sore shoulder from firing heavy loads (36-42 Grams) at foxes that jump out of thick scrub, quick gun mount "BOOM aww sh*t" :lol: .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The gun I was shooting was a Nikko model 2400 O/U with a 30in barrel and chambered for 2 3/4.
I suppose I should come down from the 1 1/8oz to a 1oz or maybe start reloading my own?

Yes, I would say the clerk just wanted to sell me whatever and send me out the door.

Just to note, I was shooting sitting down at a bench with my barrel resting on some sandbags while I was testing for patterns.

I believe the gun fits me correctly but I may have been mounting it on my shoulder incorrectly. Stance didn't matter because I was sitting down. I probably would have lost my balance abit if I had been shooting standing up.

As for the type of recoil pad, I currently have one made by Pachmayr that came with the gun from the factory.

Thanx a bunch guys.. All very helpful suggestions.

G

·
The advice to shoot lighter loads at slower velocities is good advice. However, by shooting from a bench rest, you are going to get a great deal more felt recoil than if you had been standing. When you are standing and holding the gun, it doesn't seem to kick nearly as much.

G

·
Try Winchester's Xtra-light loads. They are 1oz 2 3/4 dram loads. As for Winchester's Low Recoil Low noise loads-
SamL- have you ever used them on 16 yard trap? I have, 4 rounds of trap, 18/25, 21/25, 24/25, and 24/25. I have used them on sporting clays courses, 5-stand, skeet, even at 22 yard handi-cap trap 21/25. They do break birds. I would not compete with them on handi-cap trap or use them on all sporting courses, but skeet and 16 yard trap they work fine.

A better recoil pad would possibly help, Kick-eze, Decelerator, or Limbsaver being the better ones. Shooting from a sitting position is a way to feel more recoil. When standing your body has a chance to move a bit. Also your gun will fit into your shoulder differently while standing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

You need to definately go to lighter loads - 1oz 2 3/4 dr loads, otherwise you will develope a flinch. The Rem STS and Win AA have "softer" wads. The #8 & #8.5 1oz loads are great for 16yd trap and most 5 stand shooting.

For factory loads, I prefer the Rem STS 1oz #8 "light" loads myself.

In general, the O/U guns are lightest in weight which compounds the recoil problem. You might want to try a friends semi-auto and see how it handles. Most shooters will gladly swap guns with you for a round of 16 yd trap.

I went to reloading my ammo, after the initial investment in the press, I can load a box of shells with quality components for $2.70. Plus, then I can load down to 1150 fps.

Finially, I had a recoil reduction system installed on my Citori. It makes my 1oz loads recoil less than my Rem M1100 LT20 with 7/8oz target loads. I can shoot all day without a hitch.

Best regards, Don

·
Registered
59 Posts
SamL said:
What kind of gun?

I found changing ammo, at least among 1oz - 1-1/8oz 2-3/4" shells, to be of minimal help. (Don't ever try 3" magnum 00 buck out of an 18" barrelled Mossberg...) Besides, if you use something like Winchester AAs "low noise/low recoil" load (26gms shot, 2-1/2 dram eq powder) you'll be lucky to break birds off the 16 yard line, much less any further back.

-- Sam
Wrong, wrong, wrong. I have shot low noise low recoil loads many many times. I have run 25 straights more times than I can count with these types of loads. Consider this: the less you flinch and hurt, the more relaxed and accurate you will be with your shooting. I can consistently hit birds from the 27 with these loads (although I wouldn't recommend it as a rule for handicap trap). It's not so much about the firepower you put in the air, as it is about accuracy of shot placement!

Another thing to consider is that the more you shoot, the more toughened up you will become to heavier loads. Start out with the light ones, learn to shoot accurately and without bad habits, shoot frequently, and as you become used to lower recoil shells you can increase the loads. I'm female, and I shoot 3 dram 1 1/8 oz. target loads for handicap and 2 3/4 1 oz loads for 16, and can shoot a case a day with no soreness whatsoever. All this with the fact that I do NOT use any type of special recoil reducing recoil pad on my gun (other than factory standard). I only use a supplemental shoulder pad in my vest when shooting large amounts of very heavy loads.

And before anyone berates me by saying doing it this way is going to affect my shooting, I'm deadly accurate, too.

IMHO.

rajaniblue

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
This becomes clearer -

I do not think you have had the gun fitted? It sounds like a new gun you are trying/testing? If the gun does not fit it is more likely (i.e. read WILL) bump you. Also, what are you comparing the recoil to? a .30-06 or a .22?

The sitting down is part of the problem, you have no ability to let the body absorb the recoil in the manner that you have when you stand. That is what I meant when I said "is your stance correct?" The answer is NO

Also, it is highly likely that the mount is not correct because you are new to the gun and you are not standing.

There is something else I have noticed when patterning a gun at a plate, I PERCEIVE more recoil because of the static nature of what I am doing. When clay shooting, I am moving and following through so my mind does not seem to notice the recoil. :cry:

BUT I'd still go to 1oz loads - they use nothing else in Europe and they seem to win a few titles... :wink:

Roger

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since I made my original post, I tried shooting standing up.
The perceived recoil was significantly less as I was absorbing the recoil with most of my body. Even the heavy target Fiocchis were tolerable. My shoulder was not sore after shooting a box. The shotgun apparently fits me fine, but I am unsure if I am mounting the shotgun correctly or my stance is correct.
I had to stand with one foot infront of the other, if I stand with my feet shoulder width apart, I found the recoil would make me lose my balance and I would step back to compensate.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Tsubaki

Great that the recoil is tolerable. Stances vary according to what you are going to shoot - for example if you are wing shooting you do NOT get to settle your feet nicely !

A 'general purpose' stance would be to have your feet about shoulder width apart. If you shoot righht handed, put the left foot foward by about half a foot. (If a lefty, put the right foot foward) Put your weight on the front foot and keep the knee 'springy' don't lock up.

There is more to stance than this and a coach will be great help, they do not have to be a paid for coach, but they must know what they are doing :lol:

Good luck keep trying,

Roger

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.